1 year later

House and Wilson stood outside the ICU, watching the small body lying on the white sheets, barely moving. Cuddy sat beside the bed, her head sunk down on her daughters little hand.
'What are the chances?'
'It depends on her now.'
'You should be with her.'
House turned to Wilson, putting a bottle of Vicodin in his hand.
'I know.'
With that he entered the room, sat down beside Cuddy and put a blanket around her. A whole hour he just sat with her, until she woke up.
Slowly she lifted her tear strained face up, first to look at Rachel, then to meet his eyes.
'Did anything happen?'
He shook is head. New tears filled her already swollen eyes.
'How much time has she left?'
'I don't know.'
He softly took her into his arms, while she kept crying.
'I'm glad you're here.'
'Me too.'
For a second she stopped, lifting up her head. Behind the wall appeared Wilson again. As he saw her looking at him he held up the bottle of Vicodin. It was full, untouched. She pulled back, her eyes meeting Houses'. For a brief second a smile was on her face. Then suddenly he startled, standing up, leaning over Rachel.
'She's waking up!'
'Mummy?'
'Rachel!'
House stepped back and checked the monitors, leaving room for Cuddy to put kisses all over her daughter.
'Mummy, stop.'
She giggled, coughing a bit.
'I'm thirsty.'
House handed her a glass of water. She smiled at him.
While she drank, Cuddy gave him a scared, questioning look. He nodded.
'She's gonna be fine.'
Smiling she squeezed his hand under the bed, the other one holding Rachels.
Wilson and Dr.Gregson entered.
'She woke up?'
'Yes. Make sure she stays stable. She should be fine.'
'Great work, Dr.Kutner. Seems like you can finally get your own team.'
'Does that mean I'm officially hired now or will you fire me again every time I call you an idiot?'
Dr.Gregson grinned, handing him over some papers.
'That depends on you.'
Wilson smiled, stepping beside his friend.
'Seems like we're officially colleagues again.'
'I bet the hospital will regret that.'
He grinned. Then, seeing a sudden confused look on Houses' face, he looked down at Rachel. She had stretched out her hand, the small fingers grabbing the ones of his friend.
'Thank you.' She smiled. House kept staring at her little hand in his.
'Wilson?'
Dr.Gregson already stood in the open door.
'Do you have a minute? I need to talk to you about a new patient.'
'Sure.'
Grinning, he patted House on the shoulder, leaving him, confused, and Cuddy, laughing at the expression, with a smiling Rachel, to talk to his boss.
'I... I'll go get some food', House mumbled, as soon as Rachel has let go of his hand. 'Will be right back.'
As soon as he had left the room, Cuddy got up. He had left his jacket on the chair and as he wore pants without pockets, it was the only place it could possibly be.
Hastily she searched through his jacket.
'What are you doing mum?'
'Nothing honey just...'
She was just about to lay the jacket back on the chair as she suddenly felt something hard on the inside. After a bit of fumbling she pulled out a yellow bottle, half filled with white pills.
Feeling the disappointment spreading through her body she sat down, reading the paper on the bottle.
'Special thanks to Rachel for lending me her candy to fool her mum.'
She opened it and tasted the pills - it was candy.
'I knew you wouldn't trust me.'
House stood in the door, grinning, while Rachel could hardly control her laughter.
Cuddy threw the bottle at him.
'I knew you would be spoiling my kid.'
But she laughed in relief.

They spent the whole evening together, eating and laughing. Wilson joined them later. After Rachel had fallen asleep, House got up to leave to give Cuddy some rest as well. She brought him outside. Wilson was still looking for something.
She closed the door behind them as they stood in the empty hall, once more.
'Thank you.'
She smiled up to him. He smiled back.
'She is a strong kid. I knew she would make it.'
'If she hadn't survived I would have never forgiven myself.'
'It wasn't your fault. It was a street where kids are allowed to play and that idiot was driving far too fast. You could've done nothing.'
'I know, but still...'
He took her hand.
'She's fine.'
Cuddy smiled at him.
'Thank you.'
'You already said that.'
'This time was for being there. Not only tonight, but everytime I needed you during the past year.'
He held up his candy bottle.
'So did I pass the test?'
'Surprisingly yes.'
They laughed.
'So what's the prize? I mean you can't test me without rewarding me at the end.'
She kept laughing.
'You're a child, you know that right?'
'Fair enough.'
He put down the bottle.
'Altough, there is one thing.'
She took out the full Vicodin bottle Wilson had given her and replaced the one in Houses' hand with it.
'I know your leg hurts. You haven't taken it in hours and the pain is basically written all over your face.'
She ran her fingers softly through his beard.
'It was worth it. It's always worth it for you', he whispered, suddenly freezing under her touch.
'The last time you did this you broke up with me.'
She slowly leaned forward kissing him softly on the lips.
'Did this make it up to you?'
His face was so full of emotions, that she could barely bear it herself.
Without an answer he leaned down and kissed her again and she kissed him back. Long and full of feeling.

'Finally!'
Wilson startled, turning away from the happy sight behind the glass door and towards Rachel.
'I didn't really sleep', she explained, putting on a proud expression. 'I just wanted them to finally kiss!'
'Ah.'
Wilson laughed turning back to the door. Rachel joined in and so they both watched House and Cuddy pulling back to breathe, with a big smile on both of their faces. And all four of them knew that finally, there was really a chance that everything could be alright, for all of them.

'Thank you'
'For what?'
Wilson turned aside from the door to give his friend a questioning look. House didn't take his gaze of the picture laid before them. Cuddy, cuddled up beside her daughter, both peacefully sleeping in each others arms.
'For bringing her back.'
Now he finally turned to Wilson, who smiled at him.
'You know, for some strange reason I think you might not screw it up this time.'
House grinned.
'Dinner?'
'Starving.'
'I'll pay.'
He pulled out a wallet.
'That's my wallet!'
'I know.'
'You let me search that room all the time while you have... Oh.'
Wilson covered his face with his hand and laughed into it.
'You're unbelievable!'
House put his - that he couldn't really find words to describe it for - face on. (Authors note: the face he put on as he said to Wilson: 'I knew you love me too much' at the beginning of season 5 ;-))
'You can't change me completely honey.'
'No. And somehow I'm kind of happy about that.'
'You're lying.'
'Everybody lies... But to my own surprise - I'm not.'
House grinned, keeping the wallet out of reach of Wilsons' hands.
'I love you, too, Wilson.'
Laughing they walked down the hall, side by side, until they slowly vanished in the dark.