Chapter 10 [Things People Say]

Chapter 10

Things People Say

The week before going back to school, Avery was really beginning to feel her anxiety levels rising. She didn't like first days of school; being alone in a sea of people sucked, especially when these people you didn't know seemed to know every little thing about you... or at the very least they thought that they did

She supposed this time around it'd be slightly different; for one thing, she wouldn't be the only one struggling to find her classes or to locate the cafeteria. She also had a few friends already that she was bound to bump into, including two seniors that basically knew the ins and outs of high school at this point.

She was still really nervous though, to the point where it kept her up at night.

The Wednesday before the start of classes, Avery was hanging out on the patio, sitting in the shade and chatting to Hannah on Facebook about the rest of their summer vacation as well as their pending dooms as lowly high school freshmen.

Hannah had only just signed off when Charlie opened the sliding patio door and poked his head through.

"Hey, I got some errands I need to run," he announced, dangling his keys in front of her. "Wanna drive?" he added mischievously. Having only received her learner's permit a few days earlier, her chances to get behind the wheel had been rare and quite brief, so she jumped at the opportunity, catching the keys he threw at her.

"Awesome!" she grinned.

She brought her lap top back into her room and quickly pulled a t-shirt over her bikini top. After re-doing the messy bun on top of her head she went back downstairs, where Charlie was waiting for her at the door.

"I'd like to arrive back in one piece preferably," he commented as he walked to her side of the car and opened the door for her.

"No pressure, right?" Avery chuckled nervously, climbing into the driver's seat and putting both hands on the wheel, trying to keep her heart rate steady.

"Just take it easy," Charlie told her, putting a large hand on her shoulder and squeezing gently. "You'll do just fine," he added with all of the confidence in the world.

"Easy for you to say, you've been driving for the last thirty years," Avery huffed.

"Thirty? How old do you think I am?" Charlie asked indignantly.

"I don't know: forty-five... fifty?" Avery shrugged.

"Oh come on! You're kiddin', right? I'm forty-one... forty-two in December... and here I thought I looked damn good for it too," he chuckled.

"Five out of ten at best," Avery said playfully, giving him the once-over. "Actually, I'll give you six... you get a bonus point for the beard," she added.

"Ouch," Charlie laughed, putting his hand over his heart. "Alright, just go on and drive before you completely wreck my self-confidence."

Avery glanced at him and then at the end of the driveway, her eyes fixed on the road waiting for her. It's more scared of you than you are of it, she thought with a small smile, putting the key in the ignition and twisting.

"Turn right and keep on drivin', we'll take the long way... less traffic," he commented, looking surprisingly relaxed as she started to move beyond the limits of the Tanner property, making a right as he'd instructed and driving to the first stop.

"Relax your foot on the pedal," he said calmly.

She did as he told her to, easing up on the gas. Her hands were gripping the steering wheel so hard that her fingers were cramping up and her knuckles were white. She took a deep breath when she reached the stop sign, coming to a full stop, the force of it jerking her back into her seat.