Chapter 12 [Tryouts]

Chapter 12

Tryouts

Marissa had a very good day at school. When Lydia came around at half past three to pick her up, the ten year-old could barely contain her excitement.

"I made a ton of new friends and Mrs. Gasalberti is super nice, even though a lot of the other kids don't like her. We're taking a bunch of trips too; we'll get a permission slip soon to go to the aquarium! We'll also be going to Avery's high school in February to see their play; Avery won't be in it obviously, she wouldn't get on a stage in front of a bunch of people... she won't even play the guitar when you and Charlie are in the house!" she rambled on as Lydia drove them home. "How was your day?" she asked.

"Oh it wasn't nearly as exciting as yours," Lydia laughed. "I had a few surgeries, a few check-up appointments... one dog wasn't too happy to get his nails trimmed," she explained.

"I'll bet," Marissa grinned as they rolled into the high school parking lot.

Once the car was stopped close to the school, Lydia took her phone out of her purse and found Avery's name in her contact list, sending her a quick text letting her know that they were waiting outside.

She came out a few minutes later, a messenger bag over one shoulder and her hair piled up in a messy bun. Lydia couldn't tell from the expression on her face – or lack thereof – if her first day of high school had been a good one or not.

Avery was halfway to the car when they heard a loud crack; then, all of a sudden, the whole sky opened up and it started pouring down rain. By the time Avery ran the rest of the distance to the car, she was completely soaked. She did not look impressed.

"Hey," Marissa greeted in an uncontrollable fit of giggles when Avery slipped into the front passenger seat.

"How was your day?" Lydia inquired, unable to suppress her smile.

"Just drive," Avery huffed, tucking a strand of wet hair behind her ear.

"It was that bad, huh?" Lydia asked.

"What happened?" Marissa asked, poking her head through the hole between Lydia's and Avery's seats. "Didn't you make any friends?" she added.

"Yeah, I made a couple," Avery shrugged.

"Do you like your classes?" the ten year-old added.

"Yeah, they're great," Avery replied.

"Then what's wrong?" Marissa asked.

"Honey, sit back in your seat okay? And make sure your seatbelt is nice and tight, wouldn't want to get in trouble with Charlie," Lydia interrupted.

"Charlie wouldn't arrest us!" Marissa giggled, sitting back properly in her seat.

"I don't even think he could," Avery pointed out. "It'd probably be a conflict of interest right?" she asked Lydia. "He knows us, so he'd have to let somebody else do it... otherwise it could get messy in court or something."

"Do you want to be a lawyer?" Lydia chuckled.

Avery blushed. "I don't know what I want to do, I haven't really thought about it," she admitted. Truth be told, law and criminal justice did interest her a lot – only she doubted she would ever have the patience to make it all the way to law school.

"We're getting off-topic now," Marissa commented. "We were talking about our first day at school. Avery did you know my class will be going to your school in February to see your play?" she asked excitedly.