Chapter 13 [Girls' Night]

Chapter 13

Girls' Night

That evening, Lydia was going out with Jessie, her sister-in-law, and Maddie, Asher and Jo's mom. It wasn't often she went out with her girlfriends for drinks, especially lately, but she had to admit, despite the fact that she really loved her life right now, a night off seemed like a really good idea.

"You're going to be fine alone with the girls all evening?" she asked her husband's reflection in her vanity mirror. Her hair was still wet and she wore nothing but a towel. He was sitting in their bed, legs crossed and back against the headboard. His eyes darted up from the screen of his tablet.

"Yeah, yeah, go have fun," he grinned, adjusting his reading glasses on the bridge of his nose. "No beer unless it's cold, no boys unless they're cute, in bed by one o'clock... I've got this," he smirked.

Lydia shook her head, spinning around on her heels and holding up two shades of lipstick: a light coral shimmer and a muted nude.

"I can't decide not knowin' what you're wearin'," Charlie shrugged.

"My turquoise halter dress," she said, wondering if he even knew what dress that was. She didn't have a whole lot of turquoise in her closet, but she did have an assortment of dresses. She didn't expect him to memorize them all.

"Alright, then the peach one," he said as if he had a clue.

Lydia glanced at the two options; they could very well both pass as peach in the eyes of a scruffy man that wore way too much plaid.

"Thanks," she laughed softly. "I'll go with the nude," she told him.

"Go ask for Mar's opinion, she knows that kind of stuff better than I do," Charlie suggested with a low chuckle.

It was true; despite the fact that she was only ten, their foster daughter was quite the little fashionista with a flair for the dramatics. Knowing her, she'd opt for a bright red or a hot pink, which weren't really Lydia's style. Her strawberry blonde curls were already bright enough without adding any more flashy colors to accentuate her features.

She put down the two shades of lipstick and crossed to her closet, still wrapped in her fluffy white towel.

"Although if you really want my two cents, you do look hot in the nude," Charlie added with a wicked smirk, watching as the towel tumbled to the ground. The expression on his face as he looked her up and down made Lydia want to call up Jessie and tell her she couldn't go after all... that something urgent had sprung up... that...

"Charlie," she said when his arms came to lace around her naked waist, his fingers exploring the smooth skin of her belly. "You can't—" she began, but the words were lost somewhere in the back of her mind when his coarse beard tickled her shoulder blade.

"I'm gonna be late," she told him, turning around and wrapping her arms around his neck, her mouth finding his.

Charlie was giving her no incentive to leave; he couldn't help it, his wife was hot.

It was Friday night and Avery was hanging out in the rec room. She was bored out of her mind, but not nearly enough to get out of her sweats and into something a little nicer. Most of the high school was at this party tonight, but she had absolutely no intention of going if it meant being called a 'tease' or 'easy' one more time, or being around a bunch of drunk teenagers.