Chapter 4-The train

Chapter 4

Clove’s point of view

The room is a dull shade of brown accompanied by mahogany, cobwebbed, furniture. Woven rugs line the floor and across the room is a broken fireplace. In the centre of the room there is an old leather sofa. I take a seat hoping it won’t collapse.

I’m seated for a few seconds and begin to realise I won’t receive any goodbyes. My mum won't give me any extra baggage. Cato's parents  aren’t even in District2 and we have  have no other family. What a twat. He must think he scared me at his house; like I’d be scared of him when the people I see every day are designed to kill. He is very much mistaken.

Once again Peacekeepers surround me and I’m taken out the room, then the justice building and bundled into a small black car. I and Cato are separated by Valentina’s dinky body. That’s probably best otherwise I might have gotten angry and caused a car crash.

The journey seems to last hours, but in reality I know it’s only been a few minutes. We’re then escorted on to a silver train which will deliver us to the Capital.

"Now this is the dining cart."

Valentina feels the need to give us a tour and explain what everything is. I'm not really paying attention; I'm just staring at her feet and wondering how she can walk in those shoes.

I finally look away from her shoes and glance around the room. It's a lot more appealing than the room back at the justice building.

The walls are lined with pale slate stone and each wall two electric candles are placed directly in the centre. The floor is deep auburn wood and at the far wall stands a huge, working fireplace. In front of it sits a white fur rug. Along the back wall there are three glass tables all filled with cakes, pastries, soups, drinks and much more. Finally, in the centre of the room is a larger glass table accompanied by four black chairs and a black chandelier.

“Isn't it wonderful?" She flashes a huge toothy smile at me.

"It's okay." I reply along with a shrug.

"Oh and sweetie wait until you see your room!"

 I grab the nearest knife to me and launch it towards her head. as the rage inside me flows out.

"Clove calm down" Cato grabs me round my waist and pulls me into him.

"Don't call me sweetie. Ever" I yell at her whilst hitting Cato and trying to get away from him. Sadly I see Valentina dodged my knife. Maybe she isn't as big an airhead as I thought.

"Cato let me go!" I shriek at him still trying to remove myself from his grasp.

"I will if you promise not to attack her."

"No. I don't promise."

"Then you will stay here."

I think for a minute then remember ... Cato has a soft spot on his shoulder. I find it and press; just as I expected he shouts and drops me to the floor.

"Where's my room?" I stride towards Valentina.

"The cart to the left of you."

"I storm away infuriated.

I open the door and I'm sent into a phase of shock. The room is a deep wine colour except for the white furniture and bedding. It reminds me of blood, which I'd have loved to see flowing out from Valentina's body.

Dear Clover,

Keep a clear head and don't let that boy distract you, We raised a victor not a fallen tribute.

Mum and Dad x

Cato’s point of view

I leave Valentina in the dinning cart and go check out my room. Bed, clothes, and bathroom yeah this is decent. I change into a dark blue t-shirt and pair of jeans then flop on the bed and think. I think about Clove. I miss her. I was just scared I'd hurt her; I was still angry when I was sat with her and anything could have set me off. I decide to go see her. I wonder over to her room hoping she'll speak to me.

I knock.

"Valentina if that's you I swear I'll behead you."

I below with laughter as the door opens. Clove walks away and leaves it open then goes to the centre of the room. She then lays down on her back. I follow her in and shut the door. I lay next to her and try to find what she's looking at. After a few moments I take her hand.

"Cato-"

"No clove listen to me. I'm sorry. I was angry and I took it out on you. I shouldn't have broken up with you I just couldn't see how us still being together would work, but it will. I'm going to keep you alive."

"Cato, Clove! Supper in ten minutes." Valentina calls.

Clove slowly rises up and makes her way towards the door. I leap up and walk up to her. My hands find her hips and I spin her to face me.

"Cato I'm not afraid of you. You should know that."

I can see she isn't. Her face and posture strong. Her lips in a slight grin pulling me in. Her eyes dark as chocolate; her skin smelling of soap and coconut. I push her backwards against the door and kiss her. She kisses me back, her body hot against mine, her tongue flickering against my teeth. Hot and electric. She bites my lower lip. Damn, that's amazing. I lift her up and hook her legs around my waist as her hands find my hair. She kisses me harder hungry for more. I savour each moment until we part with one last long kiss.

"I missed you." I whisper to her

"I missed you too."

Clove’s point of view

I nuzzle my head into Cato's neck; never wanting this moment to end, but with Valentina's second call, it does.

"I'll go first."

I nod as Cato places me on my feet once again and then exits the room leaving a musky District2 scent behind him. I realise he is my distraction, my weakness. I Have a plan.

I make my way to the dining cart and place a few small pastries on my plate.

"Clove get some more." Valentina looks from me to my plate then back again.

"I'm dieting."

Cato roars with laughter. Anyone would have based on my tiny size.

"Why on earth would you do that?

"When I go into the games I'm not going to have this much access to food. If I eat my body weight in food I'll miss it more. The less I eat daily the more used to lack of food I will be."

"You can discuss that with Enobaria. I don't think she'll be pleased."

Like I care. They can't force feed me.

"Oh look we're here. Cato, Clove welcome to the Capital."

A mass of grey buildings line the sky glistening in the sky like jewels. Cars line the roads and Multi-coloured Capital citizens fill the streets. All as oddly dressed as the next. Still I must admit the Capital is breathtaking. We pull into the train station that is overly crowded with even more Capital citizens. They're cheering, waving and some even blow kisses. I and Cato look at each other and must have the same thought. We glare back at them looking ruthless and intimidating.

"Now off we go" Valentina smiles and claps her hands together like a giddy child. Peacekeepers rush us through the crowd and into one of the many buildings.

"Now you will both go to your prep teams, then your stylists. At 5 o'clock you will be escorted here for the parade where you will be shown off to the Capital and districts oh and don't worry the prep teams and stylists will make you looking perfect and less ... Distrctish. Ta ta" She blows us both a kiss before racing away. I and Cato are separated into different rooms.

( I had a lot of fun writing this :) it's my favourite chapter so far and i hope you enjoy it too)