Chapter 10- the interviews

Chapter 10

Cato’s point of view

I stand in the line waiting for my interview whilst other tributes slowly arrive, dressed in more ridiculous outfits than me, I feel their glares on me. They know I’m the main competition.  Naturally a smirk appears across my face as I run a hand through my hair. Straight away my prep team groom me back into shape. Batting them away, I notice someone stride through the room to her place in line. Clove. She takes her place just in front of me, crossing her arms across her chest, my eyes are glued to her. Unprepared she turns to face me, in her heels she still has to stare up at me.

“Problem?” Her eyebrows raise encouraging me to speak.

“No, no problem. Just didn’t think that you could look so…”

“So?”

“Hot”

Her crease into an expression changes of pure disgust as she turns herself back around just as glimmer enters onto stage.

Glimmer flaunts about, flicking her hair and smiling at everyone. I don’t think she realises most people will be looking at her practically see-through dress. She waffles on about her being the one to watch.

Actually, no that’s me.

Her two minutes finishes and she exists from one side as Marvel arrives on the other. He makes the crowd laugh and looks anything but serious about these games; and he calls himself a career. His two minutes ends. I hear Clove take a deep breath before she rises her head and walks onto the stage.

Clove’s point of view

The defining crowds of the capital greet me as I walk onto stage towards Ceaser Flickerman, who this year is sporting a blue wig.

Head up, shoulders back, Glare and wave.

These thoughts keep ticking throughout my brain until I reach the chairs.

“Welcome, welcome Clove”

“Pleasure to be here”

“So we can see from your attire you aren’t someone who will be taking the games light-heartedly?”

Say something menacing but meaningful.

“Ceaser, I’ve trained my whole life for these games. I’ve waited from being a small girl till now for my chance, I’m not going anywhere but home as a victor.”

“Well you’re very determined… As is your district partner. Would you be able to kill him?”

“Without a moment’s hesitation” I grin to myself “I know I could. Easily.”

“Would you use a knife? I hear you’re very talented.”

“I would Ceaser. No one is better with knives than I am.”

“Well we will look forward to it. Thank you Clove”

The buzzer sounds ending my two minutes and I leave the same way as I entered, with defining cheers.

I take my place with Enobaria and the others and wait for Cato.

“Well, well Cato we’ve heard a lot about you now haven’t we?”

“I should hope so, I am the next victor”

Wow. Big headed much.

“Not just about that, rumours of you and your district partner have come to the capitals attention. Care to explain?” Ceaser’s eyebrows raise so high they could fly off his face.

Oh no.

Cato hesitates for a minute before carrying on.

“Well Ceaser, I and Clove have known each other since we were very small. It’s natural that we’d be close but I can say that neither of us would let the other get in the way of winning. We’re both very stubborn and determined.”

“Very well, how are you feeling about these games?”

“Im ready to win” The crowd’s cheers swallow the room.

“Well Cato I think the capital is ready too. We wish you the best of luck”

Cato exits and joins us at our designated place where we must remain till the end of the interviews.

“How did I look?” he nudges my side.

“Alright” I turn away from him trying to show I don’t want to speak. As usual he doesn’t pick up on this.

“Alright as in I was amazing and looked really hot or alright as in I was indescribable?”

“Alright as in it could have been better but could have been worse. Now shut up, I’m trying to listen pea brain.”

“Fine” he slumps back in his chair, clearly agitated.

I snap my head back to the screen and watch the interviews tick by, waiting for 12’s.

Later that evening

“How dare he! He stole our sponsors and fans away, again!” Cato is still raging on since District 12’s male tribute confessed his love for his flaming twirl girl district partner.

“Cato it’s just an act. Let it get to you and you’ll lose focus.” He turns on me, pinning me to the wall.

“You’re just as bad, dressed up like one of them. How could you?”

“Cato, if I had a choice in anything I’d have killed district 12 already. We only have to wait till tomorrow.”

He releases his grip and leaves me against the wall gasping for breath.

Shouldn’t I be used to this by now?

I see him physically ease.

“Besides, I know you think I look hot” He glares again but I just flash a smile.

“I’m going to bed. Big day tomorrow”

I change and collapse into my bed. However, I do not sleep. Adrenaline courses throughout my veins leaving me in a restless sense of excitement. Probably won’t be much good for me tomorrow but I’ll still perform better than all the other poor excuses of tributes.