Chapter 7- Doubts

Chapter 7

Cato’s point of view

“What was that?”

Brutus and Enobaria have been lecturing me for an hour now and their point are very repetitive.

“He was trying to mess with her head so I sorted him out”

“I was fine.”  Clove interjects from the sofa facing away from us all and pretending not to listen.

“You two will be the death of me!” Enobaria shakes her head and follows a raging Brutus out the room. Clove still remains curled up on the sofa avoiding everyone. Not for Long. I make my way over to the sofa and spread out on the far edge. She sits up slowly before begging to crawl her way over to me and sitting on my lap. She then entwines her fingers into my hair and caresses me.

She wants to know something.

“Cato?”

“Clo?”

“Who’s Alaska?”

I go on to explain how I met her and how I felt they’d be good friends because they’re very similar.

“Is she prettier than me?”

Her voice goes very quiet; she never usually asks questions like this.

“Not by a long shot”

“So you aren’t cheating on me?” Her brown eyes lock onto my blue ones as she searches for the truth.

“No. Clove I love you and no one else”

Clove’s point of view

I hate manipulating him when he’s like this. He never lets his guard down for anyone else and I’m taking advantage of that. He makes me feel so safe and special, beautiful and wanted. I might have to speak to Enobaria for advice. Did I really just think that? Erg is this really what my life has come to?

“I love you too” My lips melt into his and they move together and he holds me safe in his lap.

No. Until I know for certain what I’m going to do I can’t do this.

“Cato I’m sorry but” He shuts me up with a kiss. His are different to mine. More passionate and overwhelming; excitement fills my body as his hands run up and down my back then to my neck pulling me closer in. His tongue licks my bottom lip wanting entrance, I tease him for a while but he moans (which is very sexy) so I lose control and let him in.

“Are you two quite done?” Brutus stands glaring down at us, hoe long has he been there?

“Erm sorry, where’s Enobaria?”

Cato and Brutus are now both staring at me in shock.

“In… in her room”

I kiss Cato one last time and then slide off him and head to her room. All eyes are still on me as I exit.

I quietly knock on the door as I build up the courage to ask for her advice. I’m having to trust people which I hate. This will not be easy.

“Come in”

I stand in the door as she takes in me being there; she’s as shocked as the rest of the people on this floor.  Before I realise what I’m doing I’ve flung myself into her arms and I’m crying. She’ll defiantly think I’m weak now. This is the first time I’ve cried in seven years. and that was when my sister Carrie dies in the 67th games.

“I love Cato but I don’t want to die and I can’t hurt him or see him be hurt. He’s meant to be part of my plan but I can’t stop loving him and then Glimmer is trying to take him and she’ll use him and get to me and then there are all the rumours about Alaska and him and I don’t know what to do.” I blurt out at such a speed I’m surprised she hears any of it.

“First stop crying and get some breath. Clove this might be the last few days you spend with Cato so don’t waste them and you’ll have more chance of surviving if you aren’t this stressed and distracted. You can’t side step around everything; face it head on. Drop this plan and just forget it ever happened. Glimmer may be a career but you’re far more deadly then she is. Sort her out in the arena and forget about Alaska they’re just rumours.”

I take some time to think through what she says but eventually I manage a smile and agree.

“Thank you”

“Just win Clove. Don’t let people mess with you.”

“I’d like to see them try”

That night and the next day of training go by with ease there are no arguments or awkward silences. Glimmer is still trying to wrap Cato around her little finger but isn’t having any success. Training is easy, we intimidate the other tributes, I excel at the knife station and Cato dismantles dummies. Just like any other day. Tomorrow is the last day of training before our private session with the sponsors where we will be given a score out of 12. Carers always get the highest marks. Tonight we’re planning what we’re going to do.

“Clove, obviously knives but what else will you show them tomorrow?” Brutus manages to get out between bites of ribs.

“Probably some of my hand to hand combat, speed , agility and climbing skills and then maybe some mental skill stuff so that they know I’m brainy too.”

“Excellent, a good range there.”

I’m being pointed at with chicken. I think that means I’m approved.

“And yourself Cato?” Enobaria looks at him and leans in being inquisitive.

“Swords,axes,spears. Some hand to hand combat and weights.”

“Good, that’s good. High marks for the both of you I’m sure.”

The chatter continues but people slowly retire to their rooms to sleep. I feel my eyelids beginning to droop so I decide to go too. I excuse myself and go for a shower. I might be a career and be used to it but I hate smelling of sweat.

Cato’s point of view

After Clove leaves I also excuse myself but head to her room instead of mine. I let myself in and realise she’s in the shower. I flop down on the bed and listen to her sing. She always sings in the shower, she’s good at it. Maybe that could be her talent if she wins. All victors have to have one. I don’t have a natural talent like she does. I drift off into a daydream and don’t realise she’s out of the shower.

“Cato?”

I sit up slightly startled and find her frowning with her arms crossed. Maybe I should have le her know I was in here. She is dressed so I don’t see the problem.

“Clove?” I mimic her stance and tone but receive a punch on the arm

“Hey, hey calm down” The sarcasm increases with every word but this time I don’t get a punch. She throws herself at me causing me to topple over and take her with me.

“Hey there”

“Hey. You should sort your balance out”

“I will later. I’m bust right now”

“Hmm doing?”

“This”

I kiss her. Her hands rest on my cheeks holding me there. Mine are on wrapped around her tiny figure and the smell of coconut and coffee intoxicate me. She breaks away her voice slightly rasped.

“Stay in here tonight”

“Sure, I’ll go get showered and changed then come back okay?”

“Okay”

I kiss her on the nose causing her to giggle before I head away. When I return she’s wrapped up fast asleep. She looks so innocent a peaceful; she isn’t frowning or being intimidating she’s just Clove. I turn off the light and join her enclosing her in my arms and fall into dreams.