Hush Little Baby...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello! Sorry for the interruption, but I just wanted to warn you about the dark stuff below. If you didn't come here for feels, then you can skip it and it won't really impact much. I will have a bit of a summary at the end of the section. I'll tell you when to begin reading again. Bye!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You had the dream again. It was identical to each of its predecessors, vivid and painful. The nightmare always started like this...

You watched the outside world flash past your car window in a colorful blur. You daydreamed of being an adventurer. Riding dragons, petting unicorns, and even a certain Prince Charming swooping in and rescuing you from this boring vehicle.

"So (y/n), are you excited about your 6th birthday party?" Your loving mother asked.

"Yeah! I can't wait! I'm going to get cake and presents and a unicorn!!!" You squealed in delight.

Your mom chuckled a bit at your wild imagination.

"Well, before we can buy snacks for your party, I need to stop at the bank. Unicorns aren't cheap, you know."

She smiled warmly at you. You loved it when she smiled. It always made you feel warm and cozy. The only thing better was when she sang. The most talented of song birds couldn't match your mother's silk-like voice. She didn't sing much after daddy left though... But, every once in a while you would tip toe into her room and snuggle with her when you couldn't sleep. She would sing to you and you'd practically pass out in her arms.

You pulled up to the front of the ornate building. Your mom grasped your small had in hers and entered the bank, with no idea of what was to come.

"Hello, Mr.Mortimer." She greeted the bank teller with her natural friendliness.

"Hello,Mrs.(l/n). That must be little (y/n). How are you today?"

"I couldn't be bett-"

Your mother was cut off by a startling shout.

"Everyone put your hands up!!!" A gruff bark cut through the calm atmosphere. A dingy man waved a pistol in the air with one hand, and a large sack in the other.

Your mother immediately held you closer to her body in a protective manner. The bank manager stormed out of his office in a rage.

"What is the meaning of this?!?" He exclaimed.

The robber turned to face the manager. His covered face showed hints of a smirk lying beneath his mask.

The robber cocked the pistol in his hand. "I'm just making a withdraw."

Then to the shock of every one in that room, the thief shot. It was a point blank shot. The manager was done.

A silence swept over the room. The manager rag-dolled onto the tiles. His eyes, still wide with surprise, became dull, as the life within them drained out into a red puddle on the floor.  Your mother shielded your eyes from the morbid sight.

The robber spoke up once more.

"Now, does anyone else have an objection?"

The robber presented his demands in a surprisingly eloquent rant.

Tears threatened to spill, as you desperately resisted the urge to let them do so. You accidentally let a tiny whimper escape your lips. You couldn't stop it then, the flood gates were open. Small spheres of water laid out liquid tracks on your cheeks. Your mother picked you up and held you close. She began to sing her favorite lullaby in your ear.

Hush, little baby, don't say a word

Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird

And, if that mockingbird don't sing

Mama's gonna buy you-

Even with the smoothing singing lulling you, you couldn't help the constant flow of tears and the sobbing that made you tremble.

"What is that god-awful noise!?!" The robber growled.  He stomped over to where you two were huddled.

Your tears continued to cascade down your rose tinted face.

"Get your brat to shut up! I'm trying to rob a bank here!" The thief spat, flourishing the lethal pistol in your face.

"She's just tired..." Your mother mumbled.

"And I'm tired of this kid's wailing." He retorted.

He cocked the pistol once again. The barrel was aimed in your direction.

You heard the bang erupt from the weapon, mixed with a desperate shout. You clenched your teeth and shut your eyes, knowing what was to come.

To your surprise, you were able to open your eyes and survey the unimaginable scene before you. You breathed a sigh of relief, but was cut off by the weight on your chest. You felt that sigh transform into rapid hyperventilation, as you were confronted by your mother's body, cast over you. Then you noticed the stream of crimson liquid, seeping out onto the floor tiles. Her breathing was shallow and sent a shock through her with each difficult inhale.

"Mommy!"

She stirred and her dull eyes fluttered a bit.

"(Y/n)..."

You hugged her quivering body gently and sobbed. You felt a frail hand place itself upon your wet cheek.

"Hush, little baby..."

Her comforting voice faded and the warm hand left your cheek. She never finished that lullaby.

Everything filtered out from that moment. The world stopped spinning and left you paralyzed. You opened your mouth to say something, but only cries emerged. Nothing else mattered. Not the flailing robber being dragged away by authorities, not the blanket wrapped around your shoulders, not even the paramedics confirming the unthinkable.

There you were, alone... And that's how the nightmare always ends.

Sometimes you couldn't even tell where the nightmares stopped and your life began. Despite the burden, you did your best to never let it show. But, even with your efforts you knew there was another thing that died that day. You sense of magic and wonder slowly dwindled away. Long gone were the dreams of dragons and knights. Now, all you had was the orphanage. You never made many friends, due to your fear of being abandoned.

You thoroughly believed that you'd never adventure again. There were no unicorns. There was no Prince Charming to rescue you. And worst of all, no happy ending.

But all of that was about to change...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those who skipped: Yeah your mom died. Sorry...
P.s. She loved the lullaby, Hush Little Baby. You'll know what that means later.

Feels free zone!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry about the weird chapter. I just need to explain why no one freaks out when the rest of the events take place. So yeah you're orphaned... Sorry, bud.