Chapter 6 - The Escape

I rose from my bed and followed Dan back to the Rebellion's meeting place. Rosa was there calming everyone down.

"So we're all getting over the fence," she explained. "Help someone else if they need it – no one gets left behind. I'll be going to help people over. Everyone know where we're going?"

"We're going over the fence with her," Dan pointed out quietly to me.

"Ok."

They all assured her, and nodded.

"Ok, good. I have no idea how they found out, but I guess it's now or never. Are we ready?"

"Yeah!"

She guided us through a path made to the back of the camp with the least surveillance. The fencing was thick metal wire with barbwire along the top. She showed us a spot where she had cut out most of it so we could get over. "Ok, Tiffany, I'm getting you over first."

People lined up and were helped over by her. It was going too slow, so Dan began to help too. Many had gotten over in so little time that it was impressive. But things became bleak when someone heard a dog bark.

"The dogs..." Dan whispered. "Rosa! They've got the dogs!"

She clenched her teeth. "Go! Come on guys, lets go!" She began to help people get over faster, throwing them almost without hurting them.

When everyone had gotten to the other side, Rosa yelled at them to run. As they scattered away, Dan helped himself to the top and sat on the fence, letting down a hand for me. I pulled it and began to climb over, but I stopped half way.

"Hey!" called an angry voice from behind. "Get down from there!"

"Phil, go! Don't look back! Go!" Rosa yelled under me. "Keep going!"

"Phil!" Dan pleaded. "Come on!"

I heard more dogs bark, and I knew they were coming. Rosa climbed up next to me, but let out a scream and fell to the ground.

"Rosa!"

"My arm," she said, grasping her pulsing shoulder. It must've cramped and collapsed, letting her go. "Go!" she shouted at Dan and I.

"Rosa, no!" he yelled. "Come on!" he began to climb down to help her, but she barked at him to go back up.

"Go Dan! They're coming! Get yourself and Phil over! Now!"

"Phil, lets go!"

I couldn't just leave her down there in pain. They would get her for sure. I pushed Dan so that he fell over the edge on his side as I jumped down. Dan shook himself off and leaned against the fence as I picked Rosa up over my shoulder. I climbed with her body weight over me half way up.

"Phil, what are you doing?!" he yelled.

I didn't answer. I didn't have the energy to get both of us over. I made it to the top with the broken barbwire. "Dan, catch her," I told him.

He opened his arms as I tossed her body over. "You ok?" he asked her.

"I'm fine. Phil, jump!"

I was about to when I felt a sharp sting in my back. My eyes poked open wide as my grip on the fence loosened. Time slowed down as my vision blurred.

"Run," I said to them. I couldn't move my body as my hands gave way. I fell to the hard dirt and was unable to move. I was growing faint.

"Phil!" Dan yelled. "Get up!" He put down Rosa and began to scale the fence again.

Rosa tugged him down. "No, we have to go!"

"No one gets left behind! I'm not leaving you!" he yelled at me, breaking her grip.

She used both hands and threw him to the ground. "Dan, now!"

I forced my eyes to stay open. "Run Dan!" I tried to yell. "You have to go."

"No, Phil!"

"Go!" I snapped. My body began to twitch. I felt around my back until I touched and pulled out a dart. I had been shot down.

"Phil, I love you!" Dan cried. "Please, get up!"

I showed the dart to him. He gasped, and Rosa forced him to turn. He kept his eyes on me as he ran to the other side. I didn't break looking at his beautiful brown eyes in the dark of night as I watched him escape.People began to pick me up and shake me, yelling evil things in my face, but I couldn't hear them. They shot more darts in the direction that the escapees ran in, but I knew that they missed all of them. Dogs began to bite my numb legs and arms, but I couldn't feel them.Some of the guards rudely threw a few dogs over the fence, but they didn't go off to search. The Rebellion was safe. They all were free.They had won.

It wasn't long until I passed out, my mind blank and my heart barely beating. I could only keep one thing in mind: Dan was freed, and he would be safe now.