Chapter 11 - Burn the Past (Last Chapter!)

"May 25th, one year after the camp escape...

"Hello again.This is Phil. I got a new journal! Yay! But don't get excited – it wont last long.

"It took a few months of finally going back to work and making money, but we did it! Dan and I finally made enough to move in together. Living with Rosa and Tiffany has been great, but it's time Dan and I be more of a couple. It's so perfect!

"After my experience with the camp, I realized how absolutely terribly cruel people can be to each other – to send young people to a place like that, or to do those torturous things first hand. It's unfair and just awful. The world will be a better place when we can except one another for who we are, not try to make us all the same when we are clearly not.

"Anyway, I remember preparing myself for death, then something happened, and his name was Dan. Dan saved me in more ways than one. He loves me. There is no better feeling then having someone love you for who you are. And I couldn't possibly love him anymore then I already do."

"Whatcha writing?" Dan asked, peering over my shoulder with a grin.

"Working in a journal."

"Can I see, or is it a secret?"

"It doesn't really matter," I told him. "I wont be keeping it very long."

"Why not?"

"Give me a minute." I turned quickly back to the book, picking up where I had left off.

"Now here's the deal, little book. I have Dan. I no longer need to write my life down, and I don't need you anymore. I had a nice time writing things, but that doesn't matter. I have no secrets. I have nothing to hide. I am who I am, and I always will be.

"Let me repeat that: I am who I am, and I always will be.

"(Wow that was cheesy and sappy, sorry for that.)

"And so, this is a final goodbye to the past. Goodbye, little book."

"Ok," I said, writing the last words in. "Ok, done." I stood up from the room and walked to the nice fireplace in our flat. It had such a warm feeling. I set it ablaze.

"What are you doing?" Dan asked playfully. I didn't look back at him as his beautiful brown eyes watched me, but I could tell he was smiling.

"Something."

Once it was going well and burning brightly, I gripped the book in my hands. I looked down at my arms. Scars. Pain was all I remembered. But it's in the past. am free now, I tell myself.

I finally did it –I tossed the book in. I felt a sense of closure as the cheap paper turned to ash. Dan could tell I was pleased as my eyes followed the sway of the flame. I sat on the floor in front of it, and he came and sat by me. He draped an arm to cradle my shoulders. I didn't know if he knew I kept a journal in the camp, or if he understood what I just did, but he followed and took it as something positive. That's all he needed to understand.

"I love you," he said to me, still admiring the fire.

"I love you too."

He kissed the top of my head, and I looked down at my arms. I no longer saw scars, I saw arms. I lifted my head and kissed Dan's cheek, not sure what to say.

"I like your eyes," I ended up admitting.

"I know. I like yours too."

I think he got the message.

~~~~~~~

A\N:

I had to do a lot of research to write this fic. Straight camps are horrible. If you want to know more about them, look them up...

Anyway, I hope you guys liked it! I had this one on stand-by for a while but I guess it turned out well!

Have an awesome day, everyone! <3

~SLP (SweetLittlePhangirl)