Chapter Eight

Mother Nature checked each of the rooms to make sure all of her kids were safe and sound. Each one of them were tucked in nicely in their beds. She sighed of sweet relief and walked down towards her room. Quietly, she closed the door behind her and sat on the edge of her bed. Its been almost a week since the darkness showed up in the kingdom. Mother Nature was concerned by how quiet and still everything has been since the issue with Emily. 

At night though the nights seem to be extremely dark. It gives off a creepy vibe throughout the kingdom. Mother Nature changed into her night outfit and crawled into bed. She buried herself under her covers and closed her eyes for the night. Once she was fast asleep, the atmosphere changed to a dark cold vibe. The room became pitch black. A sight humming started to echo the room followed with a quiet, low laughter.

"Oh dear Mother Nature. How I've missed seeing your lovely face. It's been far too long, my old friend," Rhiannon voiced echoed throughout the pitch black room, "Since we haven't been together for such a long time. I'm going to leave you a little present."

Rhiannon leaned towards Mother Nature and slightly touched her arm. A black spot formed on her arm and when she lifted her finger off of her the spot vanished slowly into her arm. She chuckled again before disappearing into the night. The room turned back to normal but the cold bitter air still lingered there till morning rose again.

Grace was down in the kitchen making breakfast when Mother Nature came slowly down the steps. She shuffled into the kitchen and sat down at the kitchen table. 

"Morning mother. How was your night?" Grace asked while flipping the pancakes on the stove.

Mother Nature groaned while reaching for a cup of coffee, "I kept tossing and turning all night. I just couldn't sleep."

Grace looked at her concerned, "Do you think you might be catching a cold?"

"I really hope not," Mother Nature mumbled while sipping on her cup of coffee.

Emily came jumping down the steps and walking into the kitchen, "Good morning family," she said while opening up the fridge and grabbing the milk. 

"Crap. The flame went out of the stove again, " Grace groaned while taking the pancakes off the pan and setting them  onto a plate.

"Here I got you," Emily said while throwing a small fireball toward the stove. 

The stove light immediately. Grace smiled at her while she shoved a pancake into her mouth. She gave Emily a thumbs up before putting some bacon onto the frying pan. Mother Nature flinched at the sound of the sizzling coming from across the kitchen.

"Something smelled delicious!" roared Sandman's voice before he stepped into the kitchen.

Mother Nature pressed her fingers on her temples, "You guys, could we take it down a notch please. I have the worst headache right now."

Sandman and Emily looked over at Mother Nature and watched her rub her face. They both exchanged looks before Sandman walked over to her.

"Here try this. Usually it helps for me," Sandman said while his fingers on both of her temples. 

He rubbed them back and forth. Mother Nature's face was stern and irritated. Then her temples started to glow a nice golden yellow. Her face turned to a nice, calm, and content face. Sandman did that for about five minutes before taking his fingers off her face. Mother Nature opened her eyes and thanked him. He nodded his head and went back to steal some of the food that was on the table.

"You wake up on the wrong side of the bed, Mom?" Emily asked while she shoved a piece of bacon into her mouth. 

"I just couldn't sleep at all last night. Tossed and turned all night long," she complained.

"I think you're just stressing yourself out too much. Take a break for a bit. Go into town and do something," stated Emily, "Go do something fun for a change instead of cooping yourself up in that Globe room all the time."

Mother Nature looked up from her coffee, "Someone has to protect everyone. We can't just take breaks."

"I can get Heat Miser to watch over the room for a while. Go and shop around. Get a breather." Sandman reassured Mother Nature.

Mother Nature sighed and then shook her head, "Alright. Maybe it'll be good for me."

Grace smiled and then went back to cooking food. Sandman and Emily exchanged smiles before chowing down on more food. Mother Nature went back to staring at her coffee and sipping it slowly. 

Everyone in the house quickly got ready and headed out the door. The town was busy as usually. Everyone was down at summer solstice festival. Summer was about a week away.

"Man, I can't believe my season is about to end in a week, " Abigale groaned while walking next to Jamie.

"It's okay friend," Jamie said patting Abigale on top of the head.

Everyone was cheering and having a good time. They all walked to the festival and joined in on the fun. Jamie and Abigale jumped into a mass of people dancing in the town square. Mother Nature went out to join them while Emily and Grace laughed at them from off to the side. Someone came up behind Emily and tapped her on the shoulders.  Emily turned around and found Adam standing behind her.

"Hey stranger, " he said with a smile, "You guys out celebrating?"

"We were just out in about and we saw the festival so we decided to hang out," Emily explained.

"Nice well since your over here do you want to dance?" he asked Emily as he stuck out his hand.

Emily froze. All she could spit out was ums. Grace bumped her towards Adam. She stumbled forward and fell into him. Emily glared back at Grace while Adam took Emily out to dance. Mother Nature noticed them go out so she heading over towards Grace. 

"Who's that boy," Mother Nature asked Grace.

Grace smiled up at her, "His name is Adam. They met a couple weeks ago. He's a really cool guy."

Mother Nature raised her eyebrows at Grace and then looked back up at them. A boy asked Grace to dance and she grabbed his hand and followed him to the dance floor. Mother Nature decided to relax and sit at a table. She smiled up at her beautiful children and watched them dance the night away.