Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen

Within ten minutes of Sabine’s declaration, she and Connor were riding north. She was thankful that her father had not sent a servant after her. If she’d had more time, then should would have gone after her mother. She was certain her father didn’t mean what he said – he loved Jane, and he knew that Jane was Sabine’s mother as much as she was mother to Philip and Louis. Daniel had only spoken so harshly because he was angry, she just hoped he rectified the situation as soon as possible.

“My sister lives on the border,” Connor told Sabine as they rode. “If ye would like, we can stop there before we continue on to Gretna Green?” he suggested. “We can’ ride all the way without stopping.”

“I’d like to meet your sister,” Sabine grinned at him. She returned her eyes to before her and felt an overwhelming sense of freedom. Her hair, no longer bound, swayed in the wind as she cantered on Puissant. The skirt of her blue, cotton dress had ridden up around her calf muscles as she rode masculinely but she didn’t care.

After a full day of riding, with them only stopping to water the horses, they came to the Scottish border. Sabine had never been farther that Yorkshire before and was in unfamiliar territory. Everything was brilliantly green and it seemed as if there was no sign of people for miles. The only thing Sabine could see were fences in the distance that paddocked off land.

Connor led Sabine for a few miles through the paddocks before they finally came to a small cottage. The cottage was next to a barn that no doubt contained several horses and animals necessary to maintain a farm. Without knocking on the door, Connor immediately led Sabine to the barn and allowed her to tie Puissant, as well as the stallion that he was riding in with the other two horses that his sister and her husband owned. It was not a large barn, not like the one her grandmother kept, but it was big enough to house the necessities.

Connor gave the horses some feed as well as a pail of water each before taking Sabine’s hand and taking her over to the cottage. Knocking three times, they both waited for the door to be opened.

“Do you think she will like me?” Sabine whispered to Connor.

Connor’s dark eyes softened as he nodded. “Merida will love ye, she’s been much looking forward to this,” he promised.

The front door opened moments later and before them stood a small, narrow waisted woman who could not have been older than twenty. Her hair was long and curly, and the colour of fire and her eyes were the purest green she’d ever seen. She looked nothing like Connor, except for the smile. They shared their wide smiles that crinkled their faces. 

Merida’s eyes flashed between her brother and Sabine as she beamed. She enveloped them both in a tight hug around their necks. “Twice in four months?” she gasped. Sabine noted her accent that similarly mirrored Connor’s. It was interesting to hear in a female tone. “Ye spoil me!” Pulling back, she concentrated on Sabine. Looking her over, she made Sabine feel very self – conscious. Perhaps she should have fixed her hair or worn a finer dress? Merida herself was beautiful, even though she wore a plain brown dress with a dirty, patched apron. She was in fact very beautiful. Her husband was a fortunate man. “Ye are as lovely as Connor told us over an’ over!” she giggled.