Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty

Sabine had missed so much in her absence. She learned the long and tragically romantic tale of William’s return from the Caribbean. She’d written to Kitty just as soon as she’d heard and Kitty had explained everything in full, reassuring her that William was fine, as was little Will and he was adjusting to his new leg, and his new naval rank well. She’d also learned that Kitty was once again expecting.

Jane and Daniel repaired their marriage quickly. Within days they were back to behaving like newlyweds around the house, much to Sabine’s disgust. It always unnerved her to see her parents act affectionately around each other, but perhaps it was the same for all children.

And the three months of courting passed quickly. Daniel barred Connor from the stables, instead securing him employment at the blacksmith’s in the village. He was the most talented blacksmith without any formal training. It was almost instinct that he made shoes and fitted them. Sabine tended to the horses in the way that Connor had previously and she and Jane resumed their almost daily trail rides into the forest.

Her brothers were home for the summer from Eton and were very amused to learn that their elder sister was marrying the stable hand, the man that she had so passionately committed to detest. Philip and Louis got along really well with Connor, even though he was a decade older than them. They seemed to look up to the man who was far more experienced than them.

Connor came to dinner with the Winchester’s at least three times a week and Daniel made a real effort to get to know Connor as a person, and a potential son – in – law, but asking him questions about his background, as well as what he intended to do about his future. Daniel seemed genuinely impressed with Connor’s theories on horse racing as a sport. What captured Daniel’s attention, Sabine believed, was how Connor described Puissant’s run so passionately. Connor was truly mesmerised by horses. Sabine had never met another person who thought so highly of the animals as her.

As for Mr Rochester. She really hadn’t been a lady in regards to her dealings with him. She’d disappeared for months on end when she’d made a semi – commitment to him, whether her heart was in it or not, she had a duty to respect him. He seemed quite surprised to actually see her when she visited with him. Her parents hadn’t told anyone of her expedition to Scotland as to protect her reputation, so Mr Rochester wasn’t aware of her feelings for Connor.

After she’d told him of her courtship with Connor, all the guilt she felt was lost.

“The stable hand?” he had scoffed. “You would select a penniless Scot over me?” he’d continued on.   

“Quite easily based on your reaction here, Mr Rochester. Do not be so rude!” she had scolded. “I came here to offer you my most humble of apologies and you are making it very hard for me to be remorseful.”

The visit concluded shortly after. The last Sabine had heard was that Mr Rochester had travelled south in search of a bride. Sabine wished them luck, and hoped the poor woman knew what she was getting into.

But aside from the unpleasant meeting with Mr Rochester, Sabine enjoyed her summer in Nottinghamshire as opposed to the many she spent in London boring any men who happened to speak to her. With a maid for a chaperone, Connor and Sabine spent time together riding, picnicking, and conversing about town. She loved the ease that she felt when she was with him. She never felt as though she had to pretend to be more interesting than she was – Connor seemed to enjoy her company regardless.