Babysitting

My eyes widened at Kell's words and I smiled. His eyes continued to bore into mine, but he grinned as well before sighing and pulling away. His hands dropped to my shoulders and ran down my arms until he could grip my hands. He squeezed them and pulled me to the door. 

"I don't want you to be late," he told me, "even if I don't want you to go."

I pressed my lips together, feeling slightly giddy, and followed him out the room and down the stairs. Just as we got to the bottom, Taylor came out of the dining room. He was holding a paper bag in his hand and a bottle of water in the other.

"Here," he said, handing it to me, "dinner."

My eyes widened. "Really?" I asked, "are you sure?" 

I saw Taylor's eyes flicker to Kell, and I quickly looked at him. 

Kell nodded. "Of course," he reiterated. "You didn't even finish your sandwich. You're going to be starving."

"One more thing," Taylor said, taking my hand from Kell's and pulling me out the door. He led me to his truck, and opened the back, wrestling my bike off the truck bed. He put it on the ground and I saw that he had fixed the wheel so I could ride it again.

"Taylor," I breathed, overwhelmed at his thoughtfulness.

I looked over at him and saw that he was blushing. He shrugged. "It's not a big deal."

I threw myself at him, hugging him tightly. "It is to me," I whispered, and pulled back, kissing him lightly on the cheek.

His arms tightened around me and he leaned his cheek on my head before I pulled away.

"Thank you so much," I said, trying not to cry.

I heard a car drive in behind us, and I turned around to see James pulling into the driveway. He jumped out of the car and walked to me quickly, looking me over from head to toe. I remembered I hadn't seen him since Calculus, but that Kell had told him what had happened in the cafeteria.

"Are you alright?" he asked, his face concerned.

I nodded. "Yes."

I saw him look over to Kell and Taylor. What was it with their mind-reading abilities?

"Someday," I said cheekily. "You're going to have to include me in your mind melds."

I heard Taylor's bark of a laugh, and Kell's deep melodic one. James merely smiled and reached over to take my bike, rolling it to his car and opening the trunk to slide it in.

"Come on Lyric," he said, moving to the passenger's side and opening the door.

I turned to Kell and Taylor, feeling inexplicably sad at leaving them. "Bye."

"I'll see you tomorrow," Kell said seriously.

"Until Humanities," Taylor said, with a half smile that didn't touch his eyes.

I got into the car and James closed the doors. He had music playing. I listened for a moment, it was Dido's Lament, by Purcell. I closed my eyes as Dido sang, singing in my head along with her.

 Remember me, remember me, but forget my fate.

I opened my eyes and saw James talking animatedly to Kell and Taylor. Taylor was looking over at me while Kell stared at the ground, shaking his head. Finally, James made a motion, like he was sweeping something away and turned around toward the car.

"Everything alright?" I asked him as he buckled his belt.

"Fine," he answered, and pulled out of the driveway.