chapter twenty-two: history in the making

Julie

Sometimes I sit up and think about that baby that was in the well with me and the old lady on the William's plantation.

If he's alright or if those other young girls are okay. I don't think I would've lasted to Much longer there.

Sitting here in my room allows me to think. I've never just sat up and thought before. I've never had the time. I wonder if white folks about my age have time to sit and think.

I think Mr. Danbury called this depression.

That feeling like everything is ugly and the world is on your shoulders is how I feel.

I hope happiness fills my life one day.

Lucky

I watched May walk to the servants house. I watched her stut like a chicken all confident.

She went into the house and I followed her trail.

Its nice in here. Back on the William plantation. We had out own huts. Which we had to build ourselves.

She went into a room which she left the door open. She sat on a bed and put her hands together to do a prayer.

"Lord. I come to you in prayer for August. Once again. He's the finest thing to ever cross my sight. I know he much younger than I. But I know I can be better for him than that bitch Julie ever could. Lord I just ask for a little blessing. In your name I pray. Amen".

She crazy.

I pulled the knife from my apron pocket and walked up behind her and raised the knife and struck her in the neck.

She tried to scream but I put my hand over her mouth.

"You hush now. If you relax. Your death won't be so painful". I removed the knife and let her fall back on the bed. She held Ber throat. And a smile formed on my face.

"You have a nice sleep you hear?". She looked me in the eyes before hers closed and her hands fell next to her.

I yanked the covers and pulled the over her corpse so she seemed to be sleep.

I raised a weak floor board and dropped the bloody knife down inside.

I rushed to her washroom and cleaned myself up.

I looked down at my hands body to make sure there was no blood on me. Not a drop.

Good as new.

Ruby

I sat at the kitchen table and finally looked at all the mail that has been brought to the house.

One stook out.

It was a letter to Mr. Danbury.

That's strange, by now, the whole town knows he dead. I'm sure of it.

I ripped it open and read the words over and over and over till I could see them in my head when I closed my blinked.

I can't believe this.

I ran to find August.

"August! August!". I ran to the living room and found him playing with Jackson on the floor.

"Yes Ruby?" He smiled at Jackson who was rolling around on the floor.

"Grab the Jacky and come with me". He did as told and I rushed upstairs to Julie's room.

I came to her bed side and woke her.

"Julie wake up!". She sat up and rubbed her eyes.

"What's going on?". I handed her the letter and she blinked a few times and fixed her attention on it.

Her eyes widened and I smiled.

"This real?". She got out of bed and kept reading. August looked at us waiting for us to tell him what was happening.

"What it say?". Julie ran her hands in her hair.

"We're free".

August

"What?" I sat Jackson on the bed and she pointed to the letter where the word freedom was.

I can't read worth a damn but I knew that word clearly.

"It says here that the 13th amendment was passed so all slavery would be abolished. We are free august! Free". I grabbed her in my arms and hugged her.

"I'll get get everyone together for meeting". Ruby grabbed Jackson and ran out the room.

Julie jumped on me. I fell to the ground and laughed.

"We're free August". She kissed my lips and I grabbed her face.

The bell rang five times letting everyone know there is a meeting.

I tried to get up but Julie pushed me back down to the floor.

"You not going nowhere. I feel like celebrating".

Ruby

"Ruby what the hell going on? I gotta get back to work before Mrs. D kill me".

"Valentine I need you to hush I got some important news". I smiled. "There was a letter in the mail saying we free". Mumbling started and John stepped forward.

"How's that possible?".

"You know that fancy amendment that was trynna pass a few winters ago? Well they finally passed it. We free now".

"But I know there's no way in hell Dianna gone let us go". Oh Lord.

"Well Dianna has left our company".

"What you mean?". Shit.

"Uh. She uh, left us".

"She gone? If that's so. Then I'm gonna pack my shit and get the hell off this plantation". February left from the crowd and went toward the direction of the servant houses.

"Then do so". He kept going never looking back.

I looked at everyone as they looked at me lost with no answers. I didn't know what to say but I just opened my mouth and just let words flow.

"I'm opening all the rooms. So you can sleep in a comfortable bed for once. Since we're no longer under control of Dianna. I say we take control of this farm and do as we please. We do what we want. We say what we want. We eat hoe we want. We'll sit on the porch and sip lemonade like white folks and read any page of the bible without worrying who's watching. We can sleep how ever long we want and eat when we want. We will wear our clothes how we please. And if you feel so inclined; be naked. This our farm. Raise your hands if you're with me".

No one did at first but a smile raised on my cheeks as I saw the change.

We about to make history.
_________________________