Complicated

Eastport, Maine
Saturday - August 15, 2009

It was almost noon when Valerie Silverthorne pulled up the driveway of her family home on Moose Island, her near eleven hour drive from Philadelphia to Eastport finally over. With little more than two hours of sleep keeping her sane, the 5'6" woman wanted nothing more than to get to her room and catch some Zs but considering her birthday was already half over she was intent on making the most of what was left of it.

*******

The day of Valerie's twenty-first birthday was finally beginning to wind down as her elder siblings escorted her to the island's local bar while their parents and youngest sister returned home after a family outing to the "mainland" (or rather the "Maine-land") that included a family dinner and the purchase of a baby ferret as a birthday present. After ensuring that his sisters' drinks made it to them safely Cole Silverthorne returned to the bar to hang out with his band mates and girlfriend, leaving his sisters to have their "girl time."

"So did you meet anyone interesting?" Kerrie Silverthorne asked as she began sipping on her lime daiquiri, she wasn't a heavy drinker and greatly preferred the frilly, fruity drinks over straight hard liquor and beer.

Valerie gave her elder sister a shrug while playing with her own drink's straw. "I don't know, Ker."

The eldest of the four Silverthorne children gave a scoff. "What do you mean you don't know?! You either met someone interesting or you didn't. So what is it?"

"It's complicated! That's what it is."

"Oh come on! Who'd you meet?" Valerie gave a sigh, and took another sip of her Cape Cod before recounting her brief adventure to and from her first ROH event. Unbeknownst to her she was smiling as she recounted her meeting with a certain someone. "Colby." Kerrie eyed her sister. "So... you like him?"

That sudden question nearly caused the birthday girl to choke on her cocktail. "What?! No way, I just met the guy last night!"

"Okay, fine," Kerrie played along with her sisters denial yet she was clearly getting excited about this. "But you think he's cute right, Val?"

"Well, yes... he's handsome," Valerie couldn't argue that Colby Lopez was good looking, between the time she saw him in the ring and the few minutes she spent talking to him afterwards she had enough time to say that she indeed found the man attractive.

"What does he look like?"

The blue-eyed Silverthorne pursed her lips at her sister's question, thinking about the man she had to describe and figuring out the best way to do it. "Would it be too cliche if I said he was tall, dark, and handsome? Because it's really kinda true... He's tall, maybe taller than Cole, and has long hair... kinda like CM Punk. You remember Punk, right?"

Kerrie rolled her green eyes as she gave a quick snort. "You mean that douche you went on a date with?"

"I did not go on a date with him!" Valerie gave an exasperated sigh before taking an angry sip of her drink. "It was a group thing, he's straight edge and I couldn't drink so we were the designated drivers. You really think that a guy like him would have dated a barely legal girl like me? Doubt it."

Waving her hand dismissively at her sister the eldest Silverthorne took a sip of her own drink before continuing the conversation, "Alright, well long story short I get the picture: you like Colby."

"Do not! Besides, I have my thing with Chris, remember?"

Kerrie scrunched up her face at the mention of the part-time boyfriend, firmly believing that it should be all or nothing in a relationship. No half-assing things. "Right. Chris Hero. Tell me again why you aren't in a serious relationship with him, because I still can't wrap my head around why my little sister isn't in a steady relationship with a guy she's known for a few years and has been on several dates with and sleeps with."