AEAI 20 - He's Gone.

As soon as we walk in the door, my plan is foiled. I figured I could jump into bed, mumble something about paperwork, and have more time to think of a better excuse.

But as I’m shutting the door behind us, I hear, “Is everything okay?”

Turning around, I see my boyfriend standing in our kitchen pouring himself some coffee in only his paint-splattered basketball shorts.

I immediately answer, “Yea, babe, we’re fine.”

“You sounded nervous on the phone before you left,” he says as he holds up his cup of coffee to me.

I just shake my head and say, “No, just annoyed that I had to get up.”

“Would you like a cup, Sanders?” Henry looks around me to see my partner standing by the door.

“Yes, please. And call me Joe,” he answers with a smile, walking into the kitchen to take a seat at the island.

Henry turns to grab a mug from the cabinet behind him. I take the opportunity to send a pleading look toward my coworker. He just smiles and shakes his head in a manner than means he’s not helping me with this.

“So then, why are you back so soon?” The blonde raises his brow as he pours the dark liquid. Handing it over, he looks back at me, “And why are you just standing there?”

The second he says it, I curse at myself for acting so strange. Moments like there are the ones that I wish I inherited at least a little bit of my fathers’ acting skills. But as my luck goes, that did not happen and I have to figure something out.

“Captain just had a few things he wanted us to look over before our shift. There’s paperwork that needed to be processed before night shift ended,” is my response.

He shakes his head, “And he needed both of you? Why couldn’t you just go in a little earlier for your shift?”

Looking over to the island, I see Sanders smiling into his cup before taking a tentative sip of his hot beverage.

Sighing, I run my hand down my face.  I give in, “Alright, fine,” taking my suit jacket off and walking over to drape it over the back of the closest couch. Turning back around, I fold my arms over my chest before looking straight into Henry’s eyes, “We need to talk.”

“You know what?” Sanders stands from his seat and walks toward the couches, “I’m going to take a nap on this couch. Why don’t you guys walk to the diner down the street and grab breakfast?”

“Thanks for your help,” I tell him sarcastically.

He chuckles as he lies down to make himself comfortable, “Your fault for having an intelligent boyfriend. I told you it wasn’t a good idea.”

“What wasn’t a good idea?” Henry asks from the kitchen.

I spare a moment to give Sanders a dirty look before walking toward my boyfriend, “Why don’t we go upstairs? I’m sure as hell not going to get this guy breakfast.”

“Boo,” sounds from the couch as I open the door, “spoiled sport.”

Choosing to ignore him, I lead my boyfriend upstairs with his cup of coffee. The problem with living a staircase away from our desination is that I don't have enough time to think of something to a good excuse. Truth it is, I guess.

Once we’re inside, we take a seat on Ella's sofas. And after a minute of him staring at me, I tell him everything that I know.

I tell him about the note. I tell him about the guy that died because of me. I tell him I’m on desk duty until they can figure something out. I also tell him that he doesn’t need to worry because they didn’t want to hurt him. But rather, they thought they were helping him.