WE GET CHASED BY GIANT LIZARDS

"A dream, is only a dream, until you wake up."
_______________________________________________________

      Okay, quick reality check.

      Today was the last day of school. My best friend's birthday was in a few days. I was currently being chased by a giant multi headed lizard.

      Seems about right.

      Haley's hand was tight around mine, and I wasn't planing on letting go. Right now, she was the only thing I knew was real at the moment. I could hear her panting beside me as we ran across the field, me slightly ahead of her.

      We need help, I thought. But who? It's not like we could run up to a random person and say, "there's a giant lizard thing that's trying to eat us!" Yeah, that's a one way ticket straight into the loony bin.

      I looked over at the teacher that had been standing by the school gates only a few minutes ago, to find him in the exact same place. And he was sill playing with his fingers. Why didn't he take action? Did he not see the huge green monster practically drooling on his shoulder? My head swam with questions that never received answers, and all I wanted was to go home to be with my dad —oh my dad. What would they tell him after I died? I'd be monster mush.

      Stay focused, Arianna.

      The voice vibrated through my bones and rattled my brain. I wasn't sure if that was my self conscious, or something else entirely, but I did what it said. My eyes stayed trained on the back doors of the school that lead into the field-house; if it was unlocked, that would be a straight shot to the heart of the building, and hopefully, someone who could help.

      Haley was the first to the door, her whole body slammed against it in desperation, her breathing heavy and labored. I held my breath as Haley pulled the door.

     Clack. The door was locked. Haley turned to me, tears streaming down her face, she didn't have to say anything for me to know what she was thinking. But I didn't accept that, I couldn't accept that. My eyes looked around frantically, searching for another way out. I heard a loud roar from behind us and I knew our time was running out.

      Come on Ari, think, my brain drew out yet another blank. My head turned from left to right frantically searching for something, anything that could help. Then I had a thought; a stupid, dumb, ridiculous thought, that probably would end up getting us killed. But it was all I had. I turned around and faced the monster.

     "Hey four face!" I yelled, and winced at my own terrible insult, "Down here!" That seemed to catch it's attention, and all four heads turned their glaring yellow eyes at me. I gulped down the scream the threatened to crawl out of my throat and glared back. This could go one of two ways: Haley and I dead, inside of the oversized mutated crocodile, or us mostly alive, but most likely running for our lives —again. Honestly, I was shooting for the latter, but in reality, the former did not seem too far fetched at the moment.

     "Ari, what are you doing?!" Haley practically screamed, her voice shrill and frantic. This worried me because some of my plan, (if you can even call it that) involved a bit — scratch that, a lot — of her help, and if she was already off the bender, I was —for lack of a better word— screwed.

     "Creating a distraction," I hissed, not turning around to look at her, "look for another way into the school."

     "What about you? I can't just leave you here," she paused, and I knew exactly what she was thinking. You'll die.