18.

18.

CJ

I woke up at 2 AM to my phone buzzing against the wood of my bedside table. I groaned, cursing whomever needed me at this hour. I had only just fallen asleep, my bed strangely cold and uncomfortable without a second presence.

I grabbed my phone, adjusted the brightness, then smiled. Speaking of the second presence...

Quinn:

Come over and fuck me

Was his first text message. A few seconds later, another one popped up:

Quinn:

Did that message go thru

I laughed out loud, finding his confusion with technology extremely amusing.

Yes, Q, I got it. I typed. Go to bed.

It took him a long time to respond, which I blamed on his terrible education. It's like he hadn't paid attention in school since he was 11.

Quinn:

Can't sleep without you

I felt myself biting my lip, my body tingling with a warmth only Quinn made me feel. It ran from my curled toes all the way to my heated cheeks and I never wanted it to end. I felt like a freaking woman.

Me neither. I wrote him back. But please try. You have school tomorrow.

This time he didn't take as long to respond.

Quinn:

Fine. Goodnight Carter James.

A grin broke out on my face. Suddenly I didn't feel so lonely.

Goodnight love.

~~

It was almost lunchtime. I was sitting in one of our interrogation rooms with a smug smile, watching Boggs' wide-eyed expression as Officer Johnson repeated what he had just said, at Boggs' request of course.

"I memorized it," Johnson said again, his smile unwavering as he sat across from Boggs and I, sitting tall in his wrought iron chair across from his two lounging senior officers. I exchanged a "this kid must be on drugs" eyebrow raise with Boggs before he leaned forward on the table towards the trainee, hands crossed in front of him.

"Let's get this straight, Maeve," Boggs began, using Johnson's nickname, which I distinctly remember him calling "cutesy" and "unprofessional." "I gave you the packet yesterday and told you to become familiar with its contents, particularly the arrest procedure. Now you're telling me we don't need to review it because you've already memorized it?"

I snorted back a laugh, pushing back on my chair. This Maeve kid was something else. Memorizing a seventeen-page arrest procedure and protocol overnight was absolutely unheard of, especially because it's specific to our station.

"Yes sir," Johnson repeated, not fazed by our smirks and raised brows in the slightest. In fact, he was almost glowing.

"Memorized as in, like, you memorized it?"

I watched Maeve wet his lips, biting on his lower one before nodding at my second-in-command. He looked like a little boy on Christmas and Boggs was his biggest gift.

"Well I'll be," Boggs said in disbelief, allowing his body to sink back into his chair. "Never in all my years..." he trailed off, shaking his head. "Well then I guess that's out of the way," he said after a few minutes, sitting up again. Maeve sat up straighter, if that was possible. His baby blue eyes shone as they followed Boggs' every muscle twitch.