23.

23.

Quinn

A lot of things can happen in thirty seconds. A proposal, a declaration of love, an orgasm, a pregnancy, the discovery of a disease, Oprah Winfrey making 500 dollars. When you think about it, it may not be that much. I mean, how often do people propose anyway? What can thirty seconds do, really? Well, for Oprah it can buy a new pair of Louis Vuittons. But for the rest of us, thirty seconds has infinite possibilities. And since there are 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, and 24 hours a day, that means the rest of us have 86,400 thirty-second moments every day that hold infinite possibilities.

Today I would have my thirty-second moment. The moment. The moment that would not only impact my life immediately, but would later, two years later, cause another one of those thirty second moments. But that one, that one would be good. This one, today's thirty-second moment, this one was the worst kind of moment there was.

I was finally feeling better. It had been ten days since Carter and I split up, each day, thankfully, was a little better than the day before it. I was starting to think that maybe I would be okay. Maybe I didn't need him. Maybe I didn't need love. Maybe I was just fine on my own, well except for Val and Tobias of course.

"I forgot to tell you, I got a B on that English test. The one about Slaughterhouse V?"

Val gasped, stopping in the middle of the sidewalk, snow flurries catching in her sleek black hair that was partially hidden underneath her furry winter hat.

"SPIN! That is amazing!" I smiled broadly, despite trying to be cool about it. It was my first B. Ever.

I linked my arm in hers and continued down the sidewalk towards Tob's daycare center. Val's unoccupied baby carrier swung back and forth on her other arm.

"Thanks," I told her, the smile still evident in my voice. I pulled the hood of my sweatshirt up over my head. It was getting colder as Christmas drew nearer. It was only two days away. Val and I were off school starting tomorrow.

"Hun, I knew you had it in you. What have I been telling you this past week?"

I snorted, embarrassed at the thought of repeating it back to her.

"Spin," she threatened, like usual.

I sighed, then began to mumble, "That I'm smart and important no matter what."

She beamed up at me. "That's right, hunny. No matter what. And I will always love you unconditionally."

I smiled down at her genuinely. The juxtaposition of her white teeth on her mocha skin made her look radiant. Her eyes were shinning with life, happiness, and joy.

"Hey fag."

And then my thirty-second moment began.

The voice had come from our left--a small alleyway between a few brick buildings. My eyes darted around the empty snowy street. It was beginning to get dark and the snow was beginning to pick up, meaning no one dared to venture outside the comfort of their heated homes. That also meant we were alone.

My heart rate picked up as Brian stepped in front of us on the sidewalk, crossing his arms over his thick chest. His menacing snarl made me want to vomit.

Suddenly, Val stepped in front of me, pushing me behind her thin frame. It was then I noticed the 17 and 18 year old boys who began coming out of the woodwork, all lining up to form a tall, petrifying group around Brian.

"Leave him alone," Val's commanding, loud voice rang out. "Didn't Derek tell you guys to lay off?"

This was Derek's crew, and Val was right. After CJ apparently threatened Derek's life, he eased up on me and promised his friends would also. But by the feeling of my heart thumping against my chest, it didn't seem like that was the case.