-1-

A/N Before Reading:
There are some things said in this book that are undoubtedly controversial regarding the societal standard of beauty. The thoughts and opinions on this are NOT mine, they are the characters' and I wrote them like that on purpose. They are not meant to change your, the reader's, opinion. One of the main plotlines of this story is that Audrey is corrupted by these standards of beauty, so my goal of this story is not to change you, it is to change the character. 

Sometimes I wish I didn't need to be pretty. Because I never really felt like I was. I have always wished I had someone else's life. Maybe someone prettier, someone skinnier, someone who knew how to dress better than me. Honestly, it just kind of sucks when every time I look at another girl I pick out all of her features that I wish I had, or that I could look like her, or if I could just be her altogether. 

I wonder if I feel this way because of what other people say, but I don't really know how to feel otherwise because people have been making comments on the way I look for as long as I can remember. I know that the things I think about myself are bad, and I know that I should love myself and be kinder to myself, but it's so hard when my first thought every time I put on an outfit is 'do I look too fat in this?' and I can't be kind to myself when my own mind hates me. 

The bell rings and I snap out of my trance. I blink a few times as I gather my things and tell myself that I need to face the real world now. I stand up and meet Grey at the door. 

"You okay?" He asks and I smile and nod silently. We walk towards our lockers together and grab our stuff for our next class.

Greyson Jenkins has been my best friend since I moved here five years ago. Out of everyone I've ever met, he's stuck by my side the most, through everything and I couldn't imagine my life without him. 
 I switch out all my books and close my locker door to see the one and only Savannah Black standing in front of me. Savannah is like that stereotypical queen bee, or at least she thinks she is. Our principal is afraid of her parents because they've threatened to get her fired if she doesn't let Savannah get away with all of the bullshit she pulls off, and she uses that power to be a complete bitch to everyone around her, especially me. 

"Hey, Audrey," she says and I roll my eyes. 

"Leave me alone," I say and turn away from my locker. I quickly glance over to Grey but he's talking to someone else. I start walking to my next class as she starts to follow me. 

"You look... different today."

"I don't care," I say when in reality, I do, but she can't know that. 

"No really, if I didn't know any better, I would have guessed that you gained some weight over spring break, didn't you?"

"Maybe, I don't know."

"Did you really think you looked good in that?"

"No, okay? I didn't." I snap, turning around as she stops in her tracks.

"Fuck off, Savannah," Grey says as he catches up to us. 

"Excuse me?" She asks, "Last time I checked that's not how you're supposed to talk to a girl like me, Grey."

"Last time I checked, I think it was."

"Why would you even take her side on this? We all know I'm right."