Chapter 12- Is it Meant to Be?

A L E C  J E N K I N S ;)

"Oh, Audrey. That can be arranged."

I can't believe I just kissed Audrey Barr.

I just kissed... Audrey Barr.

I never thought I'd see the day that Audrey actually liked me back. I wasn't trying to get her to like me or anything, I just wanted her to know how I felt, and when I leaned in, she didn't move.

It's been fourteen hours since graduation.

"Audrey, can we talk? Out on the balcony?" I ask her the next morning. We were sitting on the couch, and when I say 'on the balcony' she knows what I mean. It's important. She nods and I take her to the balcony, where we always just sit there, on the floor.

"What's up?" I take a deep breath.

"I just want to point out the elephant in the room." She doesn't say anything. "We kissed yesterday. And I just want to know, you know, where I stand."

"Where do you want to stand?"

"I really like you, Audrey, I really do, but I don't know how this whole relationship thing works, and I don't think I can be the one who can give you what you need. I don't have enough.. experience."

"But you're totally wrong, because I really like you too, and as long as it stays that way, that's okay with me."

"Are you sure?"

"I've never been more sure of anything else." We just sit there, taking in the view of Audrey's balcony. The tree is nothing compared to this.

"So where do I stand, Audrey?"

"Where do you want to stand, Alec?"

"I don't care, as long as I'm next to you." I reach for her hand and she kisses me. It doesn't take long for me to kiss her back. I do what she told me to do last night. I kiss her, and I don't let go.

There's something about the way Audrey kisses me, something that makes me not want to let her slip away. We pull away, needing to breathe.

"Audrey?"

"Yeah." I'm going to do it.

"I've known you for the past four years, and as soon as I laid my eyes on you, I knew. I didn't talk to you the first few days because I was afraid to talk to someone as beautiful as you. Then I saw you sitting alone at lunch, I came by to sit next to you, and it's like we immediately clicked. When I heard your voice for the first time, I-I had to stop myself from drooling over you, because you were sitting right there. Even today, every time you talk to me it reminds me of that day, that day when I first met you. My liking for you hasn't gone down since, I would say that it's only gone up. I can't thank you enough for what you've done for me, you saved my life. I honestly don't know how to make it up to you. But can I just ask you this- will you be my girlfriend?"

"Alec, I would love to, you don't even understand." Her eyes flicker up to meet mine, and she jumps on top of me, catching me off guard.

"Whoa, Audrey, what are you doing?"

"This." She pushes her lips onto mine again, even though they were already red and swollen from the last time. My hands find the middle and the small of her back, she balls up a clump of my hair into a fist, her other hand meeting my neck. The kiss is rough, much rougher than I expected out of her. We continue kissing in this position for what feels like forever, and surprisingly, neither of us need to breathe, we take sharp breaths in between kisses, and so she lays on top of me, her hands in my hair and on my neck. She scootches upward so we're more level with each other, I've always been taller. Her fingers go down from neck, to tracing along my collarbone. We continue kissing for what seems like forever. But Forever isn't long enough for me. I want my lips to be on Audrey's for longer than that. Longer than forever. Then we pull away.