Chapter 10: The Rumble

I spent the next hour in front of a mirror teasing up my hair while greasing it down; do you know how hard that is!  I had loads of black eyeliner surrounding my eyes, which was more than I was used to, but you wanted to be proud to be a greaser now.  That’s how it is in rumbles, but I’m already proud to be one, it ain’t such a bad thing.  Everyone would wear his or her best leather and tight shirts that show off how much muscle they have.  I was wearing about three bras because I had on a black strapless leather top that was as tight as a corset.  It stopped just above my bellybutton; during a rumble, you want to make sure that if you get hit where it hurts, there will be padding (if you know what I mean).  I was sporting my favorite pair of faded, ripped blue jeans with my black scrapped up converse sneakers.  Normally girls aren’t allowed to fight in rumbles, but I have some leverage over the others; it pays off being a Dallas Winston. 

“The raccoon has emerged out of its nest!” Two-Bit shouted.

“Real funny Two-Bit.” I snapped.

“You can’t blame him.  You do look like a raccoon with those eyes.” Sodapop whispered trying to hold back a giggle.  He was definitely in a better mood, I think it had something to do with Ponyboy being back and that he loves rumbles.  I love rumbles too, something else we have in common. 

“Hey, its like saying that your muscle shirts make you look like a hippo trying to squeeze into a size four.” I defended nodding over to Darry. 

“Don’t get mouthy.” Darry shot me an icy stare and I immediately looked to the card game between Sodapop and Steve.

“Soda, why do you like fights?” Ponyboy asked from the bathroom. 

“It’s a contest,” he replied trying to pin Steve’s arm down, “its sure is fun too.”

“What about you Steve?” Ponyboy looked at Steve. 

“Out of hatred.” Steve said slamming Sodapop’s arm down.

“Colly?”

“Its apart of your dignity, you can’t fight, you can’t do nothing.” I replied puffing out my chest.

“How about you Two-Bit?”

“Everybody fights, its just natural.” He simply said.

“Darry?”

“He likes to show off his muscles.” Soda interrupted as a roar of laughter erupted within the house.

It was almost seven, so we headed out of the house jumping around like a barrel of greasy monkeys.  Steve did a flip off of a car barely landing on his feet.  Darry did a bunch of cartwheels, while Soda accompanied Steve in his somersaults.  The rumble was in the vacant lot, which wasn’t too far.  I nudged Sodapop and whispered, “Gang up on a soc with me?” 

“Anytime.” He said, “But we need a signal.  How about a bird call?”

I just stared at him with the Are you kidding me look, “A bird call?”

“Yeah, something like this,” he cupped his hands and made some inhuman noise, but I thought it was best just to agree before he made a fool of himself at the lot.

It was 6:57 when we walked into the lot meeting up with the Shepard, Brumly, River Kings, and Tiber Street Tiger Gang.  Each gang has a leader, like Tim Shepard is the leader of the Shepard gang, but we don’t have a leader. 

“How’s it going Jordy?” I asked one of my buddies from the Brumly gang, “Any of your gang get anymore girls pregnant?" 

He laughed, “Better not speak too loud, Robbie’s still steaming.”  Robbie was Sandy’s old boyfriend before Soda who also got her pregnant.

A pack of mustangs and corvairs pulled up to the lot and whole bunch of Socs got out.  We were pretty even in number.  Two lines formed automatically; Greaser vs Soc.  Everyone was trying to pull off their toughest faces, some smoking their cigarettes, others gritting their teeth and glaring in rage at the Socs.  I was standing between Darry and Soda taking long drags on my cigarette before putting it out.  Darry was the unannounced leader of us greasers, while a tall blonde guy with a letterman’s jacket faced off against Darry. His name was Paul; he used to play football with Darry.  They sure stare at each other for a while.  I exchanged looks with Soda who was wearing his meanest look he could muster up.  Boy, did he look dangerously hot.  I felt a drop of water on the tip my nose.

“YOU KNOW A RUMBLE AIN’T A RUMBLE WITHOUT ME!” the strong voice of Dally called out. 

The first punch was thrown and I had my sight on a tall soc with dirty blonde shaggy hair and had on a mustard long sleeve shirt with a white and red sweater.  I ran towards him with my fist over my head and as I came closer, I brought down my fist and hit him right above his right eye.  He then gladly returned the favor and hit me in my gut.  I ignored it and jabbed with my left saving up for the impact of my right.  I managed to knock him to the ground.  It had already started raining and it came down in buckets, the ground became muddy with a hint of blood.  As I climbed on top of the soc, I had him at the hair, pushing his face into the mud over and over and as he struggled, I felt a jerk at my neck.  Another soc, with dark brown hair and a pissed expression, took me by my neck and punched my face until it turned black and blue.  A warm gooey substance dripped down my temple and I threw a punch right at the soc’s jaw, knocking it out of place.  I saw Ponyboy struggling just to stay up as a group was advancing on him, kicking him senseless.  I grabbed one of the soc’s collars and pulled him back chucking him back with a knee to the face.  I tried pulling him up, but got hauled back into the fight I started.  

I heard the distinct call of a bird and all I could think of was ‘Soda, that is the most stupidest thing you’ve ever come up with’ and he came speeding over dragging his soc in the mud, kicking him, then jumping over me, punched the soc unconscious.

“Not bad,” I huffed out of breath.

He nodded and cocked a smile that only lasted for a moment as a built soc came up behind him and put him into a death grip and almost smashed his head in.  As, that was happening, I remembered what Darry taught me about football, tackling, and sped off toward the soc pulling him to the ground along with Sodapop who was now free.  I could tell the rumble was ending because everyone was getting tired.  I punched this guy so hard that one of his front teeth fell out.  I had sweat, blood, and bruises all over my body, but I didn’t mind one bit; I felt so alive. 

They started running… running… They got into their cars and drove off.  We won, the Greasers won.  We were sure things were going to change.  Steve was cheering, shouting pretty words to the socs in victory.  I looked at Soda.  He was looking right back at me breathing heavily, his face covered in red bruises with sweat and rain dripping down.  I was ecstatic, jumping up and down with Steve.  We all got what we wanted; now I was going to get what I wanted.  I turned to Sodapop Curtis and smashed my lips against his.  His lips were as soft as silk, our noses just barely touching.  It was as if I was kissing an angel.  I pulled away looking at him just smiling.  His eyes were dancing fiercely as he stared back at me.  I turned away and continued cheering in victory.  Screams and shouts echoed throughout the neighborhood for what felt like hours.