Chapter 11: One Rainy Night

“Hey Colly, want to go for a walk?” Soda chimed.

The whole gang sat around the Curtis’ living room sprawled out over couches and chairs watching the Twilight Zone.  I nodded and joined him at the door.  It had been two days since the rumble. 

The sky was brown, like how it gets after it rains.  The black tree limbs gave a subtle accent to the night sky adding additional navy blue clouds.  I thought it was just beautiful, how the air was thick with moisture and how light everything was.  It wasn’t just a dark night like normally, there was light and it echoed throughout the city.  It made me feel like there was some good out there. 

“So I was thinking,” he trailed, “About the rumble.”

“Yeah, what about it?” I said as I stuffed my fists in my sweatshirt pockets.

He was getting real nervous; with every breath he took, you could hear the shakiness in it.  “When you kissed me,” swallowing hard, he continued, “Was that for real?”

I lit up a cigarette because I was starting to become nervous and getting those mutant butterflies in my stomach.  They always calm my nerves, cigarettes. 

Taking a puff, I cleared my throat and spoke with my roughest tone, “Yeah, so?”

“So, I dig ya.”

My heart jumped from my chest.  ‘He likes me, my best friend likes me,’ is this really happening?  It’s what I want, right? 

“And… I really like you.  I really do.” He stopped, “You’re not like anybody I’ve ever known, one of a kind, and I want you to be my one of a kind.” He was now standing in front of me staring into my dark brown eyes.  “I’ve never felt this way with any other girls, not even Sandy; it’s different, real different because with you I can actually show my true colors and… It’s like I can’t stop thinking about you after finally realizing that the right girl has already come along and I understand that I need to let go of Sandy and I’m sure glad I did because I can’t stand the thought of losing my shot with you.”

“Soda,” He cut me off.

“I get awfully nervous around you and I need you in my life.  I don’t want this opportunity to pass because I don’t think I could live with myself.  You’re my best friend and you always will be.  From day one, I was in love with you, but brushed it off because I wanted to be friends first.  Now, it took me four years to figure out that I want to spend as many days as I can with someone who truly cares about me.” 

A silent flash of lightning shot through the brown sky leaving without a trace.  It was getting lighter and lighter and raindrops started landing on my head slowly, just like the clouds moving through the night. 

“You’ve always been there for me and I’ll always be there for you.  I care about you a whole lot and I want you to be my girl.”

He was stuttering and couldn’t get out his ideas clearly, but I get it, spend four years you get it. “Soda, I really like you too, but I just hate to screw up our friendship.”

“We can try.”

“Soda, I’ve screwed up so many relationships and I can’t afford to screw up this one.”

“I’ve been with so many girls who just date me to show off to their friends.  I’ve been a trophy to them.  I’m dead serious, I want you to be my girl.” 

Tears started stinging my eyes and I tried to blink them away.  I’ve liked him for years and now I’m head over heels for him.  This is definitely what I wanted let alone what I need.  I need a relationship that lasts, for once, a guy who cares about me. 

“Please, Colly, I’m crazy about you and I know you don’t want to get hurt again.  I wouldn’t do anything to hurt you and if I wasn’t serious about this, I wouldn’t even be asking you this.”  Sodapop pleaded.

I looked into his eyes, his big brown eyes.  He spoke my mind.  I couldn’t help but smile, “Yes, I’ll be your girl.”

Soda broke out into a grin that showed every one of his shining teeth.  He wrapped my into his arms, a firm grip that was warm and loving at one moment and protective the next.  I nuzzled my head into his shoulder and he kissed my forehead.  I looked up at my boyfriend after four years of waiting.  He started leaning towards my lips, but it was quickly interrupted by the pour of rain.  I put up my hood of my sweatshirt and just started laughing.  He smiled, even though he didn’t get his kiss.  Our arms overlapped over our backs as if we were glued together.

“Race ya!” I said.

He just shook his head, “No, my girlfriend is going to be carried back.” He smiled puffing out his chest.

I just chuckled as he scooped me up into a cradle; his muscular arms against my surrounding my body as he smiled down kissing my cheek.

“I’m glad you’re my girlfriend.” Sodapop said. 

“I am too.” I replied looking up at him with loving eyes.

He carried me all the way home.  I could stay like this forever in his arms.