The Lost Vampire: Chapter One

Life is simple, but never easy

First time I heard those words, well it change the course of my life. People imagine an immortal life filled with adventure, endless romances, just a carefree existence with the occasional operatic confrontation with other immortals. Of course this is a result of humans romanticising our kind through books, movies, TV shows and while they've covered the general, none has truly captured the truth. From the moment we're made, we're like children having to re-learn how to survive in a new world. Learning how to feed, how best to keep the truth of our existence in the shadows and with the ceaseless advancement of technology it hasn't and will not be getting any easier.

I've always seen being an immortal as life in prison. Yes, some of those very same technological advancements have eased the way a bit but we're still confined to a life without the sun, forever dependent on a very fragile food source and the darkest of all truths we have to choose to die. Sure along the way every immortal goes through a dark period, some have it the moment their made, others when their three hundred years old and just tired of living but the fact remains we don't have the option to just die peaceful. And our biggest secret, we are gluttonous beings with a crippling fear of dying. When you've live for so long and experienced so much, it's addictive and for a time it feels great to have everything we felt as humans heightened but with the good comes the bad.

I was no exception and it may have taken a few trials and errors but I finally found a formula to life that works for me. Every so often I have to change locale but it stays the same, a quiet existence of solitude with just the right amount of fraternisation as to not raise any red flags. My most recent move brought me here, West Virginia, currently admiring the golden glow of the sun disappear behind the snowy mountains, the best view in West Virginia, arguably a biased opinion. Fifty years ago I wouldn't think it possible but thanks to the creation of UV protective glass I haven't missed a single sunset from this balcony since moving in three years ago.

Rosemead wasn't the grandest of towns but it had all the essentials to my formula, population less than five thousand of friendly people who don't ask too much questions. And then there were the mundane benefits an active town council, grocery stores, schools, a gym, latest rumour was that Starbucks was coming to Main Street. The latest addition was a ski resort, opened a year ago which brought more foot traffic passing through the town. Good for me but also good for the town and in spite of the development Rosemead still maintains its small town charm. This little town suited me perfectly, all the privacy I need and steady flow of people moving in and out throughout the year. In the grand scheme, I suppose a food source is all I should care about but it the small details that help to complete a human façade.

The façade began to crumble at the edges when I heard the toilet flushing, reminding me of my unexpected guest and how fragile my life's formula can be. As the last rays disappeared behind the mountains I somehow felt as though it was taking the last bit of my peace with it.

'Sorry about that but when you gotta go, right,' my guest stepped out of the powder room still adjusting his belt buckle. I tried not to focus on the lack of water stains on his belt or waistband as he did so, 'I tell yah it was hard walking pass all that fresh snow out there...' he broke off in an awkward cough as he noticed I wasn't in the slightest amused by his attempt to joke.

'Don't' worry about it.'

'Didn't get to introduce myself properly before, Frank Irving private investigator,' his outstretched hand hung awkwardly in the air.

'Yes I saw from your card. You said you had some questions for me,' I offered him a seat by the fireplace doing my best to appear welcoming but I was never known for being a gracious host and very unlikely I will ever be. But more than anything I wanted this man gone as soon as possible.