The Lost Vampire: Chapter Three

**Unedited**

Upstairs I could hear as Robyn moved about in the kitchen, every day I wake up to find her cooking in the kitchen. Before a week ago I never had a single guest in my house, moreover having anyone cook in my kitchen. The first day I told her it wasn't necessary to cook for me, initially she thought it was because I had a blood only diet but once I informed her that "normal food" as she puts it was not a problem for me to consume, just not enough to sustain me. That first morning I was pelted with so many questions about my eating habits but I came to the conclusion it was best to satisfy her curiosity as just maybe she needed a little reassurance that I was going to drain her of her blood while she slept. Truth be told, my rationalisation was more to put myself at ease as I was still unsure about the whole situation and how trusting this human was.

Making my way upstairs from my below ground bedroom I did my usual routine of making small noises to alert Robyn that I was awake and entering the room. The first day led to two broken mugs, split coffee and a half-frantic woman in kitchen scolding me, the whole scenario was quite frankly ridiculous, a human guest telling off her vampire host about her quiet feet.

I listened as she sang about being friends with the monster beneath her bed and I couldn't help but consider how much the song applied to our situation, but who was crazier, she for living with a vampire or me for offering my spare room. Perhaps I was hoping that her sense of self-preservation would kick in and she would have taken off already.

It was on the third day I began regretting my impulsive decision to have her stay here. Thinking back I only did it because I was trying to prove something to myself and to her, that I wasn't lonely. I liked my space and privacy that didn't make me lonely.

'You're up and just in time,' she placed a plate with eggs and toast on the breakfast counter followed by a mug with what I expected to be coffee, 'I found your stash of blood bags I figured you might need a little pick me up.'

This was exactly what I meant by privacy this was too much and if I didn't give her the push she needed I don't think she'll ever leave. 'Look Robyn, I think maybe it's time you made a decision about what you're doing, you can't stay here forever,' I couldn't understand why she looked so surprised this was only ever a temporary solution.

'Is this about the blood cause I didn't mean to snoop I was only looking for more bacon and I saw the other fridge and it wasn't like there was a "do not open" sign, although knowing me that would only make me want to open it even more,' she chuckled but stopped as she realised that I wasn't partaking in her mirth.

I walked over to the printer and grabbed the sheets I printed the night before, 'Here,' she was more apprehensive about taking the papers from me more than she was when she handed me the branch I used to stabbed the asshole from the woods in the neck.

'Apartment listings?'

'The two I highlighted I've already made appointments for you to check out.'

'Did I do something wrong?' her voice small and apologetic.

'This is nothing against you. I just prefer to live alone," I tried to soften my tone as much as I could as to not hurt her feelings. Truth is her presence wasn't that bad, she knew to give me space, she was clean and a decent cook but the fact remain it was just safer for her to go.

'I get it, I just figured you know with your lifestyle you could use a friend, you know someone to help out.'

'Help out?' I was genuinely curious as to how she thought she could help me.

"Well having me as a housemate could help maintain your cover, I would of course help out with rent and most importantly I'd be willing to...' there was an awkward pause and then she raise he wrist showing me, '...provide sustenance if needed.' That made me laugh not in jest but to how little this human comprehends that being friends with a vampire isn't some kind of accomplishment.