The Lost Vampire: Chapter Two

**Unedited**

As I drove towards town I thought back to my conversation with Mr Irving, poor frightened Mr Irving, he will surely think twice before knocking on my door again. I wasn't too worried about him telling anyone the unvarnished truth of what happened that night, simple because humans just can't or perhaps don't want to accept that there is something dark and sinister lurking in plain view of them instead they'd rather dupe themselves in believing that all is rosy in this world. I suppose they have bigger issues dealing with global warming, terrorism, or an orange president, indeed with so much already on their plate best to keep the humans unaware of the supernatural presence that's right next door. The glow from my mobile lit up the dashboard, reaching over I grabbed it reading Jack's name, answering his voice echoed throughout the car.

'You're answering, so I'm guessing you're done with the dick?'

'Yeah, I'm already heading into town, shouldn't be too long now...' as I rounded a bend I could see taillights up ahead, 'Perhaps I spoke too soon,' I finished.

'What's going on?'

'There is a car up ahead, not moving, lights and doors open.'

'That doesn't sound too good be careful Rebekah,' Jack has a tendency to over worry about me, often complains that a young woman as myself should not live so far away and isolated.

'You know me Jack.'

'I do, which is why I'm going to say it again, be careful. If I don't see you in twenty minutes I'm calling the cavalry.'

'Deal.' I abruptly ended the call and pulled over in front of the SUV.

No one was in the car but both the driver and passenger doors were open the lights were on and the windscreen wipers on full speed. The car seemed to have skidded off the road but no major damage to cause them to abandon the vehicle. The closer I got I could smell the faint smell of blood, which wasn't too alarming, it was possible that someone bumped their head during the accident but still wouldn't explain why they car is left so carelessly here. I went for my phone to check for a signal but remember it was back in my car and more importantly I was on the phone with Jack when I pulled over so there would be no need to trail off into the woods to find a signal and call for help. The more I examined the situation the more convinced I was that I was getting myself involved in something I'm sure I'd rather stay out of.

At first glance nothing was too out of place from inside the car but the smell of blood was there and there was none on the dashboard or steering wheel as I anticipated instead I found a pen that was apparently used as a weapon of convenience. I can't imagine the driver stabbing their passenger so the only logical situation, the passenger attempted to defend themselves stabbed the driver causing him or her to swerve off the road. Moving around the vehicle, I could see droplets of blood in the snow leading beyond the tree line, two sets of footprints suggesting a chase and from the size it was safe to assume male chasing a female. The amount of scumbags that cross my path I have to wonder if I am just a magnet for this kind of trouble. Whatever it may be there was someone who needed help and I couldn't just walk away.

It didn't take much to find the driver as he was bleeding all over the place; I remained out of sight so that I could observe what exactly his intentions were when he found his escaped passenger. He was shivering from the cold and possible loss of blood; he was in such a rush to chase the girl that he didn't grab his coat this also meant there was a good chance the girl was in the same situation. Considering how cold it was, running into a forest with no idea where you're going and no jacket was a stupid move, which told me all I needed to know about the bleeding jerk in front me. Whatever happened in the car she felt being out here was better than being stuck in that car with him.