Chapter 1

Lila:

I was running out of ammo and still had about 15 walkers. I have knife but I'm really not the well at using one. I've been alone during the whole thing. No one to help me when I really need help. I pull my shit together and take off. I kill a good amount of them then run inside to the beaten down shack I've been living for two or three days. It's not something permanent, I know that, but it helps me stay alive. I've always found groups but none of them seemed right they all had something about them that stuck out. As I was eating some food I heard someone scream in the woods. It was mid afternoon so I grabbed a different gun I have that contains more ammo and ran towards the scream. I ran right into two girls with a bunch of walkers around them. The blonde girl was freaking out while her friend? Or someone she must've known fought off the zombies. She had brown hair and was really good with a knife. I ran over and shot about four walkers then found a stick and stuck it in the brain. I learned over the years that stabbing there hearts or chest won't kill them but shot in the brain will. I helped kill the rest of the walkers and looked at them with a smile. " thank you" the brown haired girl said. She had an accent but I couldn't understand the type. "You welcome" I say to them. I start to walk to the shack when they start talking. "Do you have a group? Where are you staying?" I turn around and shake my head. "No group. I've Been alone since the start. I live in an old beaten up shack." They look at each other then look up at the sky. " we've been wandering all day, it's getting dark we are at least like 15 minutes from our camp. Could we stay?" They ask. I think for a minute. "You have a camp you said? How many people? A good food supply?" "It's only me, my sister here and our father. I'm Beth, this is Maggie and my fathers name is Hershal. We live at a farm a little while from here with a barbed wire fence surrounding our home. We haven't had any accidents yet and are hoping not too." Beth explains. I stand there and take everything in. Maybe this is good for me. A place to start with people and for once I don't have a bad feeling. "You can stay the night and leave in the morning okay?" I say. The nod their heads and we walk back to my shack. As we were walking we heard groaning and sticks snapping. Oh no this isn't good. I look over at the shack and see about four walkers. I look at Maggie and we each kill two while Beth just stands there. Jesus I wander how she is still alive. Wouldn't be if she was alone. We go inside my cabin and being nice give them the couches and sleep in the hardest chair in the world. I know I'll regret it in the morning. Not knowing the time I still feel it's late. I just can't sleep. I see Maggie can't either and decide to start conversation. Looking over at Beth asleep I ask, "how does she not kill any walkers? Are you guys just protecting her. You won't be around for-" " why don't we go outside" she says. I nod my head and walk outside. "Beth saw her mother get eaten alive. She hasn't been herself. She was killing walkers before but is just scared I guess. She'll open up soon and be herself soon I hope." I nod and think about seeing your own family get eaten. Hell I would be just like Beth. " how old are you? And what's your name? We didn't ask you. " Maggie asked "I'm Lila and I'm 14 years old. How old are you and Beth?" I ask. "I'm 19 and Beth is 17" I nod my head. "Are you guys in the open or in the woods?" I ask. " kinda the open. Corn stalks around us but not that many woods." "Great." I say. "We are hoping to find a group one day. Give us more protection. Maybe even last till the end" she explains. "Your saying you don't think you 3 will make it till the end?" " what? U do. Lila your 14 years old. You won't make it alone either." She says. Okay that hurt. I walk in the shack and go sit on the chair with a blanket wrapped around me. After a couple minutes Maggie walks in and walks over to me. " I know I seem rude but even you know yourself you won't. Why don't you come with us and live with us for a while we can find a group and be stronger." I stare at the ground and totally ignore that she is waiting for a response. It would be a good thing to get stronger and have more people around. I know I wouldn't survive the whole apocalypse alone. I just was looking for hope. I heard Maggie say think about it and lied on the couch and went to sleep. I went over to the door and made sure it was locked then went to sleep. Long day tomorrow.