Chapter 37

The fact Zandra's story is already on the front page above the fold of the Stevens Point Journal is no surprise. Like everything else in town, Gene owns the newspaper, having purchased it from Gannett a few years back. The typos indicate the article barely slipped in on time for the printer.

No, it's the line about security cameras that piques her interest:

Police say late last night that Zandra allegedly brought a knife to her landlord's apartment and threatened him with it, based on security camera footage. She then allegedly broke into her apartment, which authorities sealed off as they continue their investigation into the apparent human remains stored there.

Zandra re-reads the first sentence.

Security camera footage.

Gene's lapdog reporters rushed the story a little too quickly to press. If cameras caught Zandra breaking into her apartment, then there must be footage of the mystery person or people planting those body parts, too. That doesn't bode well for the narrative Gene's building against Zandra.

Of course, he's already hard at work inserting himself into the story.

"I just want the truth, that's all. If those chopped up body parts in Zandra's apartment really are of my daughter, then she owes it to this town to come clean about it," Carey said in a phone interview. "Now to hear that she's running around Stevens Point with a knife and getting into trouble, it just adds to the tragedy. If she truly isn't a child murderer, then our justice system needs to clear her good name. I pray she had nothing to do with this, because killing a child is truly unforgiveable. Hopefully, this mounting evidence against her is all a mistake."

The story goes on to say how the police encourage residents to get in touch if they spot Zandra. She's wanted for questioning about a host of new allegations, all related to the events of last night.

It's a wonder the gas station clerk didn't do something when Zandra bought the paper. Then again, the clerk didn't look like the type to read all that much. His loss. There's a generous reward out for information on Zandra's whereabouts. Of course, it's sponsored by Gene. Of course.

Zandra folds the newspaper and stuffs it into the pocket of her tattered, filthy gown. She's looking more and more like the witch she's being made out to be, figuratively and literally.

She lights up another cigarette. Thinks how she needs another visit with Steve, the landlord. He lied to her about the cameras. If she can reach his porno palace without the entire town noticing, it damn sure won't happen again.

She finishes her cigarette, then slips an eye around the corner of the gas station. A commotion blocks traffic down the street at Sneak Peek. She spots the flashing lights of an ambulance. Someone must've called it for the lumberjack she left bleeding on the floor. A few angry shouts from passersby add to the ambiance of chaos. It's the busiest Sneak Peek's ever been.

Zandra looks back toward the gas station pumps. Surveys the hands working the nozzles. Most belong to Stevens Point's townies, the type familiar enough with Zandra to know not to offer a ride.

But the college kids, fresh from morning classes, now there's a more promising demographic. Most are from out of town. Few, if any, read the Stevens Point Journal. Too busy sending dick pics and sharing celebrity news on social media. Educated but clueless. In any other situation, they'd make for perfect clients for a reading at Sneak Peek. She'd milk them like a student loan.

Zandra waits until the townies leave. Singles out a young woman with long, black hair dressed in the kind of limp mall clothes tailored for people with fashion sense but no money.

Zandra plays to the young woman's sympathies. Concocts a story about being disabled and in need of her medicine. It's not so much a stretch given her ankle.

The college kid eats it up. She's all heart and idealism, but no brains. Not seen enough of life to smell a con like this one. Her eyes light up when Zandra offers a pack of tarot cards as payment.

"Oh, I just love tarot," the young woman says as they pull away in her car. "It's so insightful. Much better than the phony religion my parents shoved down my throat."

What a prize to be so innocent.

Zandra smiles for the first time in a long while. She notices the young woman looking at her instead of the road.

"What? Was it something I said?" the young woman says.

"You just hold onto that feeling for as long as you can, child," Zandra says.

The young woman nods in faux agreement. "Oh, yeah, I know what you mean," she says and laughs.

Zandra thanks her again for the ride after the car stops outside Steve's apartment. They exchange waves before Zandra turns to face the door.

There's no need to knock. Steve's bony frame stands in the open doorway. His hands cradle a shotgun.

"I thought that was you, Zandra," Steve says and raises the barrel.