Chapter 47

Zandra retreats behind the terrycloth curtain once again. She knows it's not ideal, but it'll have to do. Beats her odds of going out the door.

She runs her hands across the wall of the makeshift closet, unsure what her fingers search for. A trap door? A false panel? Nothing.

There's nothing at the cabin door, either. No startled Gene. No officers rushing inside. She can hear the vehicle idling outside, but no one approaches the cabin. Anticipation mashes Zandra's nerves. She forgets to breathe until she's three heartbeats away from passing out.

After what might've been a minute, maybe 10, Zandra hears the vehicle pull away. The tires turn slowly on the gravel, as if hesitating on the chance someone will come out of the cabin. It can't be Gene and the officers. They'd come inside.

Zandra thinks back to the meal Seth prepared earlier. Kid food. Was this that "other person" stopping by to pick up food for Elle? It makes some sense that they'd split duties. It's hard to shop for groceries and corral a kidnapped child at the same time.

Peeking out from behind the terrycloth, Zandra gets a glance at the vehicle as it leaves. She only catches the taillights as they crest the hill outside. They're low to the ground. Must be a car, not a truck or van.

A thought crosses Zandra's mind that gives her pause. What would "the other person" think if they came by at a scheduled time for Elle's food, then wasn't greeted by Seth or Abby? It would seem suspicious, wouldn't it? What then? It'd be time to get rid of Elle and make a run for it while the police still peg Zandra as prime suspect.

Which means Zandra may have only hours to find "the other person" and Elle. And she can't do it hiding in a closet.

Zandra steps out and thinks to take Abby's keys. She stops. It'd look suspicious once people find the remains in the cabin. Her bad ankle convinces her the risk is worth it. The police won't be watching for Abby's silver SUV anyway.

Reaching down for keys, Zandra notices the dull shine of an empty casing from the pistol on the floor against Abby's still thigh. She examines it for a minute and slips it into her pocket. Might need it for later.

She allows for a good 15 minutes to listen for the mystery vehicle to return. It doesn't. The only sounds come from Seth and Abby as the insides of their bodies unfold.

Zandra waits again after firing up Abby's SUV, this time to listen for her intuition. The warm idling of the engine cools her nerves, allowing her a rare moment to think instead of react.

Think. Who is "the other person?" The brain is always working on solving problems. Listen.

She meditates with her forehead against the steering wheel. Her body remains in that position until she feels an itch on the back of her neck. It travels up the knots of her spine, electrifying her scalp.

Then it hits her. She knows the name of "the other person." It's not a hunch. Not a wild guess out of desperation. Suddenly, she just knows.

That's not all. She knows where to find "the other person," too.

Zandra presses on the gas and guides the SUV away from the cabin, feeling better than she has in ages.