Dakota

As we head into a driveway, I notice a long path that leads to a red barn. It looks like a typical barn, really. I notice all the pine and maple trees surrounding the path the truck is on, leading to the barn.

I spot a young woman waving to the truck. I turn my head to see Hunter waving back to the woman.

She looks to be about 17 years old and has long golden blonde hair. I assume her hair is virgin because she has darker, natural roots which most natural blondes have. She has fair skin with a slight tan, probably from being out working with horses. I assumed because she was wearing a simple white tank top with a pair of light jeans paired with a pair of cowboy boots.

As we pull up, I notice the woman walking closer with a smile on her face. Hunter puts the truck in park and continues to open the door. I follow his lead and open the door on my side of the truck.

The woman greets me with a warm smile and a shake of the hand.

Holy crap she has a strong grip! I thought to myself noticing her tight grip.

"Hunter! Aren't you going to introduce me to your new friend?" The woman asks looking at Hunter.
Hunter smiles sheepishly. "Aha. Samantha, this is my sister, Rachel. Rachel, this is Samantha, I'm on my way to drop her off at Cherrywood." He explains.

"Hi it's nice to meet you!" Rachel directs towards me. "Dakota is just waiting for you in the barn. I bathed and brushed him so he could make a good impression!" Rachel directs towards Hunter with a slight smirk. "Thanks Rach! Samantha, do you want to meet him?" He beams. I nod in response and follow him into the barn.

As Hunter directs me into the barn I quickly spot a black and white Appaloosa looking horse [picture on side.] in crossties. I quickly walk over to pet the cute gelding's muzzle which I'm rewarded with a soft nicker. "Hi there."

I smile at the 16hh gelding staring at me with a gentle look. I turn around to see Hunter smiling and slightly blushing when he catches me looking at him. I smile and look back to the gentle gelding rubbing my summer riding jacket for treats.

The little bugger knows I have treats!

I was going to them to Cinnabar but I can always give him the apple I have in my lunch.

As I undo the zipper on my pocket I feel a warm hand on my shoulder. I shiver at the touch.

Must be from the shock of someone touching me. I thought to myself.

I turn around to see none other than Hunter smiling at me. "He is known to sniff treats out of people." He says with a chuckle. I blush knowing he still has his hand on my shoulder.

Why am I like this?

He notices my blush and quickly removes his hand from my shoulder.
"Can he have a mint?" I ask changing the subject.
"Yeah sure." He says seeming distracted by something.
Ignoring his behaviour, I grab a white mint out of my pocket and feed it to Dakota. He tries chewing it but soon spits it out across the floor. I giggle and quickly turn to pick up the fallen mint. Before I notice that Hunter has the same idea, our bodies collide, landing me on my behind. "Oh my gosh! Are you okay?" Hunter says while leaning down offering me his hand. "I'm fine." I giggle while accepting his hand which etches a smile on his face. As he pulls me up, I under anticipated his strength and use some of my strength to help push me up. In result, I'm flung into his chest causing his hands to instinctively wrap around my waist so I don't tumble over. With my hands on his muscular chest I look up catching a glimpse of his stunning eyes. He looks down at me with a look of serenity.

We are cut off by a female voice coming outside the barn. "Hunter! The trailer is ready!" I instantly recognize Rachel's voice and scurry out of Hunter's arms, snapping us both back to reality.

I quickly walk over to Dakota who seems to be listening to the chirp of a bird outside. I grab a lead line and clasp the lead line on the bottom of Dakota's leather halter. I notice a plait on the side of his halter with the words written on it Dakota's prime time. I assume that's his show name.

I turn around to see Hunter staring at me. I notice I'm practically taking his horse. With a blush on deepening on my cheeks I stutter "Oh, I...uh... Can... I mean, do you want me to take him out for you? I mean... If you want?" I smile sheepishly noticing how much I stutter when nervous.
Why am I so nervous?
His smile brightens. It's probably a real show seeing me trying to find words to take a horse to a trailer.

"Yeah sure. Do you know how?"

I give him a puzzled look but he quickly explains "I mean, don't you have show grooms or barn hands to do that for you?"

I'm shocked. He thinks I don't know how to load a horse? "Of course I do!" I say in a defending tone. "My trainer taught me when I was 7 because my show groom was sick." I say a little more calmly. He smiles a little mockingly. "Do you remember how?" He asks with a hint of humour in his voice. I ponder the thought.
Do I remember?
I pause. "I'll take that as a 'I need a refresher course'" he smiles cheekily.
I role my eyes. "Take your damn horse." I say handing the lead to him. He gives me a triumphant smile which I respond with a role of the eyes. "You know it's rude to role your eyes at people." He remarks with a cheeky grin.

"You know it's rude to one up people?" I challenge with a smile to which he rolls his eyes with a smile tugging at his lips.

We head out of the barn where Rachel is waiting for us already having the trailer set up. Hunter leads Dakota into the trailer which he gladly walks on to. I observe Hunter tying the lead rope in the trailer and hops out where Rachel starts to lock up the trailer.

I just stand there puzzled as to how fast they managed to do it. Hunter catches me staring and has a smile when I look at him. "You coming?" He asks with an amused grin on his face. I roll my eyes at his grin and hop into my side of the truck. I can't wait to see Cinnabar and maybe show Hunter that I can ride and I'm not just an absentminded show jumper!

[Author's Note]
Thank you guys for reading and I hoped you enjoyed it! My chapters are pretty short but I will update often! The romance between Samantha and Hunter is starting to brew but Samantha doesn't know she has feeling for him yet 😱 some drama coming up😉