The Orphanage Attic

It was the gloomiest attic imaginable. Every centimetre of it appeared to be painted grey. The only evident colour in vicinity seemed to be a messy mass of deep red hair belonging to a small girl gently sitting on the side of the bed. Her face was rather pale and unsmiling. All her clothes, from the tattered jumper to her shoes full of holes, seemed to be decades old. One thing, however that made the girl look extraordinary was her mesmerising eyes, which were partially hidden behind a pair of thick framed glasses. They were almond shaped and were a magnificent, emerald shade of green. In her small delicate fingers she held a small golden locket in the shape of a heart.

The photo was one of a family of five, starring a man with messy black hair, wearing glasses and a green eyed woman with shiny auburn hair. The infant boy resembled the father in many ways, apart from his eyes, almost identical to the woman's lively eyes. The newborn girl, Serria Potter was more of a mix, also inheriting her mother's eyes, and reflecting her mother's hair, but instead of sleek, hers was wild and untamed. The fifth person in the photograph was another man who was holding baby Serria in his arms, his grey eyes illuminated with laughter.

It was surreal, as the photograph inside was moving. The man with glasses was trying to calm his son, who was crying with no noise; nevertheless he smiled at the camera. The woman looked rather worried but looked at her husband affectionately and was smiling weakly. The silently laughing man was tickling the red-haired baby, pointing to the camera.

At this point Serria slammed the locket shut and threw it onto the floor. It lay on the ground, covered in red, ruby-like stones, bearing one single word on the top. Lily. She looked at the top of the locket.

'Lily,' Serria smirked to nobody in particular, 'If Lily was a good mother she wouldn't have left me in such a horrible place.'

She burst into tears and wiped her nose with the sleeve of her torn jumper. Suddenly emotional, she picked up the locket and fastened it back onto her neck. Unexpectedly, the door swung open.

'What do you want?' Serria demanded her eyes fixed on the woman.

'You have a visitor,' she said, maliciously, 'Some, Dumb-door.'

'I don't want to see him,' she said. The woman ignored her completely and left the room. Clearly irritated, Serria kicked the mirror and watched it shatter into pieces, making her feel strangely satisfied. A minute later there was a knock on the door.

'Don't come in,' she called. The door opened anyway, and a strange man strode in, with a white beard so long, it was tucked into his belt. He looked at the broken mirror and sighed thoughtfully.

'Oh, dear. Mrs Heron won't be very happy will she?' he said smiling at Serria, 'Reparo,' he muttered pointing a wooden stick at it. In moments the mirror was in one solid piece. She was confused for just a moment, but then it just occurred to her. He had a wand.

'Are you a wizard?' she asked curiously. She knew all about them. Wizards and witches had a separate world-a charming, magical one, it was all in a letter she had since she was a baby from her godfather Sirius Black. She'd read it so many times it was almost memorised.

Dear Serria Lily Potter.

This is your godfather Sirius, Sirius Black. You are witch. Trust me, I'm a wizard. If you don't believe me ask someone to read this letter. They can't of course, because I charmed it so only you can.

know this is a shock. Your whole family are or were wizards. You have a twin brother named Harry. I'm sorry but I can't tell you if he's dead or not. Neither can I tell you about your parents. You were sent to this muggle orphanage for your own safety from an evil man named 'Lord Voldemort,' more commonly known as 'You-know-who' or 'He-who-must-not-be-named'. But feel free to use his real name as the other two are ridiculous.

Don't hate me for this. And don't hate your family. They really love you. I'm sorry but I don't have much time. All I know is that one day, a wizard will come to take you to our world so you can go to the wizard school, Hogwarts. Don't bother looking for me. There are chances that you'd never see me or your family.

Your mother, Lily has left you her locket that only you can open and your father, James has left you a map made by him, me and our friends during our school days. The Marauder's Map. It is a map of Hogwarts. To open it-say, 'I solemnly swear I am up to no good,' and to close it-say, 'Mischief managed.' I don't doubt that it'll come to use. You have also been left a great amount of gold in your Gringotts account. Vault 913, I think.

Remember Serria, we all love you. Especially me. Love Sirius or Padfoot.

The letter never said what happened to her family, but there was no need. She was once sent an anonymous newspaper clipping that showed the Potter family fate. Lily and James Potter were killed, Harry Potter the one year old boy escaped with only a scar and Lord Voldemort lost his powers.

'I am,' the man said, bringing Serria back to the present. 'Surely you've heard of Hogwarts?' She managed a nod, slightly shocked. 'I am the headmaster, Professor Albus Dumbledore. And I've come to offer you a place at the school, Serria.'

'How do you know my name?' Serria asked, 'Not many people know about me.'

'And you're right. I wouldn't have realised that you survived Lord Voldemort if Sirius Black hadn't told me when I visited Azkaban.' Serria didn't bother ask who Azkaban was; she was more interested in what Sirius was doing.

'If he can see people, why can't he rescue me from this dump?'

'That's what I'm here for,' Dumbledore said, 'Besides, Sirius is rather inaccessible at the moment, I had special permission, you see.' He coughed. 'Now, you are eager to leave this orphanage, am I right?'

'Very.'

'You will spend the whole year at Hogwarts, with the exception of six weeks in the summer holidays. Seven years of schooling it will be. And, here is your school list. Someone will be here to pick you up this time next week.'

'Fine,' Serria said.

'I, however have one condition. You cannot tell your brother who you are, until the time is ripe. Which I will tell you when.' She glared at him.

'Fine, then.' Dumbledore gave a small smile and made his way out of the room. Just as he was about to close the door he stopped.

'And,' he said, his blue eyes twinkling, 'At school you'll have to call me 'professor' or 'sir.' On this, I may have to insist.'

He gave one last smile, and disappeared through thin air.