Diagon Alley

There was a knock on the door.

'Come in,' Serria said cheerily. It had been a week since Albus Dumbledore's visit and it was any minute that 'someone' was coming to rescue her. She had packed her only belongings, school list, the Marauder's Map, Sirius' letter, the newspaper clipping, and some of her dull muggle orphanage clothing in a small shoulder bag. Her mother's locket was carefully around her neck.

The door opened and a man stepped in. She knew at once that he was a wizard from his tattered grey robes. It slightly shocked her that they were ancient. It didn't occur to her that someone's clothing could be older and shabbier than her own.

'Remus Lupin,' he said. She noticed how pale his face was; she could tell he was young but his face was tired and he had dark shadows under his eyes, as though he hadn't slept for days. 'You do look a lot like Lily. Your hair is just like James', though.' His face looked grim. 'Are you packed?'

'I didn't have much to pack,' she pointed out.

He pulled a small pouch out of his pocket. 'This is Floo Powder,' he said. He ignited the usually neglected fireplace. 'You will drop a pinch, when it turns green, step in and say your destination. Speak clearly and keep your elbows tucked in your sides.' He offered the pouch. 'Diagon Alley is where we are meant to be.'

Trembling a little she took a pinch of the powder and dropped it into the fire. Almost at once it turned bright green, like her eyes. Tentatively she stepped in and shouted, 'D-DIAGON ALLEY.' For a minute she thought she did something wrong, but less than a second later she was spinning. She landed on the floor with a thud. Nervously, she fixed her glasses. Slowly she looked up, afraid she was lost, but she saw a large sign at the nearest building. DIAGON ALLEY.

Before she knew it the man was next to her.

'Right, now follow me.' Her head was spinning and she was nevertheless curious.

'Err... Mr Lupin?' she said straining to remember his name.

'You're allowed to call Remus, you know.' He was smiling slightly.

'Oh ok,' she smiled, 'I just wanted to know... OUCH' A wizard wearing a blue turban had just crashed right into her, knocking her off her feet.

'I-I am s-sorry,' he stuttered.

'Are you okay?' she said, seriously concerned. Stuttering usually came from absolute shock, 'It's fine, you know,' she added, hastily picking up her shoulder bag.

'S-sorry.' Confused, Serria turned around to look at Remus.

'Umm...' He frowned at her and turned to talk to the man, but he had already disappeared.

'Never mind that,' he said, 'What did you want to ask me?'

'You know that Floo thing. Can you get from anywhere to anywhere with it?'

'Only fireplaces in our world. The exception is when you get a muggle fireplace temporarily connected to the system by the Ministry of Magic. This is what Professor Dumbledore did for you today.'

'And... Remus, sorry for asking, but where are we going?'

'Gringotts, wizarding bank, you know about it right?'

'Yes, it was in Sirius' letter."

'Sirius?' he asked, stopping abruptly, 'As in Sirius Black?'

'Yes, do you know him?' His smile vanished.

'Unfortunately,' Remus said quietly.

'I'm sorry,' Serria said, puzzled, 'But what do you mean by-'