Chapter 1

Return of Debra Dovere

"Feels wonderful to be back.." I sniffed the sweet air after stepping out of my limo.

My driver, Mr.Tubbins gave me my bags and suitcase from the back trunk. I thanked him and he drove away back to the city where my dad was mayor. I knocked on the door politely from my grandmother's front steps. It's been already 5 years since I haven't been here in Tulsa. I decided to move back here with my grams since grandfather passed away a month ago and I didn't like to see her alone.

The door creaked open and a bark was heard. I was surprised when a big fluffy golden retriever jumped on me. "Ahhh!"

"Clover! Get off of her!"a voice commanded. It was my grandma. I chuckled as Clover, the dog licked me, then he got off and stood by grams.

I stood up and said,"Grams.. How have you been?"

"Oh Debra.." She just smiled with her eyes tearing up and embraced me. I closed my eyes and hugged tightly. Then she led me in the wide 2-story house. The windows were crystal-clear glass with silky creamy-colored floral curtains. The sofas were comfy light brown just like the floor.

We were in the kitchen with Clover while grams was baking me cookies she always baked for me as a child. I stroked Clover's ears and awed,"You're so big now boy! I remember when you were just a pup."

My grandmother chuckled and said,"He eats a lot."

"I can see that."

"And you've gotten so big too Debra!"

"Yes, indeed."

"And skinnier too?!" She surprisedly added with a giggling gasp.

I stood from the stool, felt my waist and explained,"Well I am planning to become a model so.. I lost a few pounds."

"A model? How could you not be one right now? You'd be perfect."

"Oh grams.. My hardwork hasn't paid off yet."

"Well dear, there's something called luck. Would you like some tea?" she headed to the fridge.

"Definitely." I nodded.

She frowned after checking the fridge. "Oh dear.. looks like we ran out of tea packages."

"Grams didn't you used to always have enough?" I walked over to take a look.

She sighed,"Not with you grandpa not around.. I haven't been at the market for quite some time."

"Well I can help!" I volunteered. "I can go to the market for you."

"You sure? Do you remember this area that well?"

"Why of course.." I lied.

In the next 2 hours, I was lost at the market even though grams gave me a map. Atleast I had Clover on a leash. He probably knew where things were but surely didn't want to go home. He loved the outdoors. I was wearing my straw sunhat with sunglasses on and a white strapped dress with sandals.

"Clover! Now tell me where they sell those tea packages, will you?"

He ignored me and continued sniffing bushes nearby. I sighed and began to look around. Suddenly two boys came rushing past me and my hat and sunglasses flew off my head, onto the ground.

They looked a little homeless. One of them was holding a stuffed grocery bag and a Pepsi with brownish black hair slicked back. He wore those muscle tees with jeans. The other wore a jean jacket and jeans with long dark hair covering his forehead and had big eyes. He even had a scar by his cheek.