The Forgotten Zodiac: Chapter 9

"Welcome home, honey," Lyra kicked off her shoes. Her heel burned angrily, and she gave it a quick rub in hopes of soothing the rapidly developing blister. "How was work?" She inquired, tossing Lyra a glance from her chair in the den.

"I didn't go today, I had too much school work to do," Lyra added quickly. She receiving an ear-to-ear grin from her mother in response.

"Such a good girl I raised," she mused, turning back to the television. "School always comes first!" Lyra took a look around the room, noticing everything was the way she had left it that morning.

"Are you hungry, Mom?" Lyra's socked-feet made little noise against the hardwood floor, so she added a little pressure to her step to let her mother know she was in the kitchen. "I'm going to make myself something."

"Oh, I'm not very hungry," she called back. "Thank you, though, dear!" Lyra opened the fridge, trying to figure out what she would have made with eggs, milk, and oranges. Refilling the fridge had fallen behind on her list of to-dos, and it was really taking its toll. Luckily, meals at school were cheap and the neighbors kept her mother fed during the day. Sighing, she closed the door to the fridge and, upon seeing nothing else among the tidy kitchen, exited the room.

"Looks like I'll have to go shopping," she called to her mother. Already feeling her heels burning in protest, she made her way to the front door. "I'll be back later."

"Wait, dear," Lyra's mother cooed childishly. "Aren't you going to give your own mother a hug goodbye?" Lyra felt her heart drop. There was nothing in the world she loved more than her mother, but... she forced herself forward. The light of the television flickered as some black and white cat chased a mouse across the screen.

"Goodbye, Mom," she felt her heart begin to tear. Her mother's legs were ravaged, the bandages wrapped firmly around them offering little shelter to the improperly healed wounds beneath them. Swallowing the rising panic, she leaned down to give her mother a hug, feeling her mother's boney arms wrap around her back and dig into her spine.

"Love you dear," she whispered, releasing Lyra.

"Me too," Lyra choked out. She swiftly retreated from her mother's chair and back to the front door, hearing her mother laugh at the television before scrambling out of the apartment. Now, safely out of earshot of her mother, she felt her legs give way. Lyra's heart beat a mile a minute and she found herself gasping for air, the image of 'her' maiming her mother flashing in her mind.

"Are you alright?" Her eyes stayed on the ground, her voice failing to come to her. "Lyra," the voice repeated, firmer this time. "Lyra, it's Yuki, are you okay? Should I call for help?"

"N-no," she whimpered. "Just leave me. Please," the sound of Yuki plopping onto the floor next to her briefly registering before the haze over her vision faded.

"Shigure told me what you said about your mother," he began cautiously. "I just wanted to make sure you were both alright."

"We're fine," Lyra couldn't help but feel defensive at the mention of her mother. Especially coming from someone like Yuki, a main-house zodiac with everything together. "You can leave," she dismissed him. After a moment of him sitting, unmoving, she realized she was hyperventilating. Taking a deep breath, she placed her hands on the cement wall and attempted to lift herself from the floor.

"Let me help," Yuki offered. This time Lyra let herself be helped, feeling his palms wrap firmly around her elbow and lift her up. "Were you going somewhere?" He inquired, giving her a warm smile and an amazing opportunity to change the subject.

"Y-yes," she answered hesitantly. "I had to pick up a few things from the store."

"Great, I'll join you," Yuki gave no room for arguing. He side-stepped to make room for Lyra beside him in the cramped hallway. She nodded, acknowledging both his offer and gesture, and slid past him.

-

The walk to the store was a slow one, with little conversation to ease the obvious tension between the two. Yuki stayed a fair distance from Lyra, and she was grateful for it. Her episode earlier was still fresh in her mind, and her heart was still beating a mile a minute.

"... Are you alright?" Lyra looked up, realizing that she had stopped.

"Yeah, sorry," she shook her head. Moving forward to catch up to Yuki before returning to a slow stride, she took a deep breath.

"You know you can talk to me, right?" Yuki asked, and Lyra could feel his eyes burning into the side of her head. "I won't judge. I promise," Lyra rolled her eyes; there was no way she could talk to him about her problems. He seemed too... aloof to understand.

"I'm fine," she dismissed his concerns. She looked up just in time to see the bottom of the sun sink into the distance, "can we hurry up? I have to get home before dark."

"Sure, would you like me to come in with you?" Lyra shook her head, walking into the store and leaving an unusually calm Yuki behind. She continued past the fresh produce, the smell of bananas briefly registering as she walked by, but she wasn't in the mood to indulge in the sweet scent. Her hands still shook, and Yuki hadn't exactly eased her worries.

Lost in thought, she grabbed random items and held them in her folded arms, hoping to distract herself on the way to the medical supply isle. After realizing she had no need for baby food, she placed the items she had amassed on a shelf beside her, silently apologizing to whoever had to put the items back where they came from.

"All set?" Lyra looked up, banishing her thoughts to the corner of her mind. The cashier looked her right in the eyes, and, for a second, Lyra felt as if she knew her. Shaking away that thought as well, she chuckled. "What's so funny?" The cashier questioned, her head tilting to the side, her elegant blonde hair falling to the side carelessly.

"Nothing," Lyra murmured. She placed her item on the belt, watching it be carried towards the cashier, "for a second there I thought I knew you." The cashier gave a small laugh, ringing up Lyra's item and placing it carefully into a small paper bag.

"That would be strange, seeing how we've never met," she held up her hand as Lyra shifted through her pockets. "It's been paid for, Lyra."

"W-what?" She stopped dead, looking back up into the crystal-blue eyes of the woman. "How do you..?"

"Have a wonderful day," the cashier turned to the customer behind Lyra. The old man cleared his throat and gently pushed Lyra ahead so he could place his items on the belt. "Did you find everything you were looking for today, sir?"

"Yes, I did, thank you..." Lyra stepped forward, blocking out the sound of the two conversing, feeling the cashier's piercing blue gaze follow her out the door.