Chapter 11

Maddy's POV:

It's been a week since that night. That awful night when I was so scared of the reality around me that it changed my dream. There was the fire, the mystery figure and extreme physical pain as usual, but it was also completely different. Zuko was there, in the shadows. He just stood and watched me burn no matter how loud I called out for him to save me. He then turned around and started to walk away like he didn't even care. I screamed all the while both from the physical pain and from the emotional torture: I screamed for him to come back to me, to save me and not leave me here alone, but he kept walking away.

I woke up screaming at Zuko, crying like a madman and shaking uncontrollably while he held me tight. I begged him not to leave me and he didn't; he slept with me that night and held me in his secure arms, I wished I could have stayed there forever.

The next morning wasn't awkward as I had thought, but calmer. Zuko didn't leave my side and acted as if I would break at any moment, giving people glares for raising their voices around me or bumping into me. At first, it was fine, but it eventually got to be really annoying. I kept insisting that I was fine but he wouldn't have it. That night, it happened again despite my newfound security on the ship and the night played out as it had before. The next night we skipped a step and Zuko held to me, my head laying on his bare chest and his arms around me tight all night; not a single dream entered my mind, and that's how it's been ever since.

I sat on the deck of the newer ship looking at the waves rolling by. This ship was exactly like the old one so I already knew my way around. I knew that at least the next few weeks would be a mystery to me because Zuko wasn't in any of the next episodes until the attack on the Northern Water Tribe. Then all hell would break loose.. and by hell I mean a giant avatar powered spirit fish. The boat was pulled into a cove and the weather was warm. The water around was calm... And shallow. Smiling to myself, an idea popped into my head. I went to the front of the ship, stripped down to my undergarments, and jumped into the water below. When I came up I gave a shriek of delight from the coolness if the water. I began to float around the water a bit and eventually dove down as far as I could go then popped back to the surface. I couldn't even remember the last time I went swimming. Nearly drowning didn't count.

"Madelyn!" I heard someone shout from the ship. I looked up to see Zuko silhouetted by the sun.

"Hey, babe!" I called up, waving from the water. He seemed to relax a bit.

"What are you doing?"

"Um, what does it look like? I'm swimming!" I smiled.

"Why?"

"Because its fun. Come in!"

"I don't want to." Fine. You wanna play that way.

"Help! Zuko help!" I called and started flailing in the water. There was a splash next to me and I felt him hold me up bridal style.

"Oh, Prince Zuko you're my hero." I kissed his cheek and rolled out of his arms. The captain and crew above were laughing hysterically.

"Don't do that again." He said harshly before swimming back to the ship.

"Oh come on babe. You can say that its payback for the frog thing." He kept swimming. "Please Zuko," I begged. "You're already out here. Please swim with me." He stopped score for me. Without warning, he twisted around quickly and a huge wave of water attacked me. Score for Zuko.

"Oh no. You. Didn't." I sent a massive wave at him and he splashed in return, pretty soon we were in an all out splash war.

"Okay, okay. You win!" I surrendered. When he stopped his splashing, I dove under and grabbed his legs, pulling him down quickly before he could take a breath. I quickly swam away to ensure my own safety. He resurfaced and chased after me but wasn't quite fast enough to catch a girl 50 feet ahead of him. I came upon a large pile of rocks and started to climb.