Chapter 14

Zuko's POV: TWO WEEKS LATER.

Traveling as a soldier in Zhao's army had been more difficult than I originally thought. We avoided as many soldiers as possible and we really only ever walked around when we had to get food. We rarely saw Uncle because he was usually with Zhao to not seem suspicious and to get information. When we did meet we would stop in an unused hallway and trade information.

I had met him earlier and he informed me that we would be landing soon. I walked back to the abandoned room Madelyn and I stayed in and took a deep breath before entering.

Would it be wrong to think that I had only fallen deeper in love with her? She seemed to only grow more beautiful each time I saw her and she and I only grew closer. I had seen her through all her good times and bad and we had been through trying times together, but she was still here with me. When I looked at her I couldn't help but smile and feel most if not all of my hatred and anger leave me. I resumed my previous plan to tell her when I was in possession of the Avatar but that only seemed to grow farther and farther away the longer I was with her.

I exhaled heavily trying not to let my emotions show yet and entered the room. She sat there on the bed playing with fire.

"Uncle says we will be landing soon."

"Alrighty. You remember our agreement?" She asked, looking at me intently. A week ago we had agreed that I wouldn't hurt any member of the 'gaang' as she called it and in return I would go without her.

"I promised not to hurt them and I intend to keep that promise." I wouldn't ever lie to her.

"Okay." she looked sad.

"What's wrong?" I asked, taking a seat beside her and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. I felt her shiver beneath my touch.

"I just don't want you getting hurt." she sighed. "I mean, I know you don't but I'm still worried. What if something changes because I'm here?"

'Something already has.' I thought to myself.

"What?" She asked. Damn, I said it out loud.

"Something has already changed." I looked at the floor but then changed my stare to her.

"Oh no, what have I done now? What did I change? Can I fix it? Oh please say I can fix it." She rambled.

"You can't fix it, it's too late and I don't think it will ever change." She looked at the ground in disappointment and sadness at what she thought was a mistake. "But trust me when I say I think it's a good thing," I smiled slightly.

"What did I change?"

"I'll tell you when I have the Avatar." I squeezed her to me a bit then stood up to ready the canoe I was 'borrowing'. I dressed in all gray and started to lower the boat into the water. I heard the door behind me open but I continued to drop the canoe.

"If you're fishing for an octopus, my nephew, you need a tightly woven net or he will squeeze through the tiniest hole and escape."

"I don't need your wisdom right now, Uncle." I focused on keeping the boat level.

"I'm sorry, I just nag you because, well, ever since I lost my son..." I heard the pain in his voice and I felt it as I remembered my absent cousin.

"Uncle, you don't have to say it." I knew how he felt and he had been more of a father to me than my real one.

"I think of you as my own." I stopped what I was doing and turned to him, understanding what he meant.

"I know, Uncle." I bowed respectively then turned back to the canoe. "We'll meet again..." I promised. He then enveloped me in a hug, then released me. "...after I have the Avatar."

"Don't even think about leaving without me." I heard Madelyn say from behind him.

"We already agreed that-"

"I don't care what we agreed! I am going with you." She was dressed similarly to me. She pushed past me and through her small bag into the canoe.

"No, you're not," I said a bit more firmly.

"You can't stop me." she glared.

"You're right, I can't." I met her eyes. "But please stay behind. I need you to be safe and I can only be sure of that if you are with Uncle."

"I'll be safe if I'm with you!" She insisted. "I can't let you go in there alone when I could be there to help you! I know what will happen and..." she continued her rant for a while, but I couldn't tell her why I didn't want her to go. I was waiting... why was I waiting? What was the point?

Maddy's POV:

I continued rambling off all the reason I should go. "Zhao could end up, I don't know, killing the moon or something and-" I was cut off by a pair of lips suddenly crashing into mine. My eyes widened until I was pretty sure they would pop out of my head and I finally paid attention to who was doing this. Zuko. Zuko was doing this... Zuko was kissing me! Oh my god what happened? I then noticed that I wasn't kissing him back and I quickly rectified the situation. My eyes fluttered closed. Our lips moved in sync with each other and my arms had a mind of their own as they wrapped themselves around his neck, and his in turn wrapped around my waist and one reached up to twirl in my past-my-shoulders hair. His tongue brushed against my bottom lip and on instinct I gave it an entrance to my own. Our tongues danced together as did our lips and it was bliss. I had no idea what I was doing but whatever it was he was great at it. I found myself smiling into the kiss.

He then pulled away and stared into my eyes, his glowing their radiant amber with the emotions I was feeling inside.

"Now do you understand why you have to stay here?" He asked. "I need you to be safe." His arms were still tight around my waist.

"Now do you understand why I have to go? I need to be there for you."

"Please," He begged. "Please stay with Uncle until I return." The desperation in his voice was enough for me to do as he asked this time. I nodded in temporary compliance. He leaned forward and kissed me once more, just a quick peck but it was still wonderful, then jumped into the canoe and started lowering himself into the icy sea.

"I love you." He looked into my eyes from below as he said it and I looked into his.

"I love you too." I said honestly and smiled as the words left my mouth. He began to paddle away as I leaned over the edge of the loading bay.

"Remember your Breathe of Fire! It could save your life out there!" Iroh called out to him.

"I will."

"And put your hood up, keep your ears warm!" It was kind of funny how motherly his uncle sounded.

"I'll be fine," Zuko responded.

"Be safe! Come back to us!" I called.

"I promise I will." I watched him leave into the foggy distance and soon he was out of sight. I gave a heavy sigh and stood from my kneeling position to see a worried yet happy Iroh.

"Too bad Captain Jee isn't here, I won the bet." He chuckled slightly before looking out over the sea for his nephew again.