Ch. 6

"Mitch, can you tell me what the man that you let in looked like?" Kirstie asked, her hands ever so slightly shaking.

"Not too much. He was kind of tall, and he had light brown hair... I think." "Oh no." She muttered, already calling Scott.

"Wait- why?" He tried to look at what she was doing. "That person lied to you, so he could get in. His real name is Alex." She explained.

"Oh, okay. I understand. Kind of. Not really."

Kirstie couldn't help but smile. "I know. It's even confusing for me." She dialed Scott again, and the same monotone voice message kept playing.

"Scott Hoying, leave a message." "Who are you trying to call?" Mitch tried to lean over her shoulder.

"Scott. He isn't answering."

"Should he?" "Well, he's still supposed to be at work. An optimist would say he's in a meeting, and I wish I could believe the same thing."

"But?"

"I don't." Mitch nodded, but didn't really get why. She must've sensed his uncertainty, and spoke. "Scott's been having a rough time lately."

"Really? I thought Sandra was a pretty happy person." "He is, normally. But it's tough. Balancing work and relationships, and stuff. Y'know."

"But, aren't we in a relationship?" He said softly. "Yeah." "So... I'm the reason he's so unhappy?"

Kirstie realized how her words had affected him, and wanted to slap herself. "No. No, not at all. He just- uh, loves you, so much. It's hard for him to leave you every day."

Nice save, she thought, rolling her eyes at herself.

"You sure?" Mitch asked doubtfully. "Yep. I'm sure." Kirstie lied. She could tell he felt confused, so she tried to distract him.

"Um, Mitch. I've always wondered why you call him that."

"Why I call him what?" It worked. Mitch was snapped out of his trance of thoughts and focused on Kirstie.

"Call him Sandra instead of Scott. Was it a family name?" His mood seemed to worsen.

"Oh, yeah. It was my mom's. Only name I've ever been able to remember, really." He laughed.

She didn't say anything, but she wouldn't know what to say anyway. "I still can't remember her very well." He continued.

"I say 'still' because even though it was a long time ago, you'd think at least a little bit of fifteen years of life would eventually reach my mind."

"Was she nice?" Kirstie interjected after a pause of silence.

He grinned. "Mm-hmm. I know how it felt. The freeness I had when I was a kid, how happy I was when we were together."

He wiped just a tiny bit of water away from his eyes. "She rarely talked about my dad." He forced the words out.

"The times she did, I don't remember. She took good care of me though, that I'm sure of."

Kirstie didn't want to upset him further by asking how he could know that. "I can still feel how amazing I felt back then, but I don't know why."

Tears were now blocking his vision.

"I hate it, I hate it so much. I don't know what made me so happy, hell- I can't even see her face. It hurts so badly, doggie girl. I just know she was pretty. That's all."

Kirstie felt useless, and tried to comfort him. "C- can you remember what color hair she had?" His lips turned slightly upward.

"Blonde. It looked yellow in the sun."

She nodded. "What about, uh, her eyes?" She tried to keep him happy, a part of her still concerned about why Scott wasn't answering.

His face fell.

"No, but they were bright. I bet my dad's eyes were dull." The pair stood quietly, looking at their feet. Kirstie's phone buzzed on the counter, and she rushed to it.

From: NoHomoHoying
Kiiiitttyyyyy

From: KittyKat
Shit.

From: NoHomoHoying
How are you? But like, your soul

From: KittyKat
Scott Hoying, I swear to god.

From: NoHomoHoying
Why yo panties all up in a knot? You tryna tie dye them?

From: KittyKat
Scott, you tell me exactly what club you're at, how fucked up you are, and how long you've been there.

From: NoHomoHoying
Uuuuummmm........

From: NoHomoHoying
........

From: NoHomoHoying
........

From: KittyKat
I WILL MURDER YOU. THEN HAVE BEYONĆE REVIVE YOU WITH HER VOICE. THEN MUDER YOU AGAIN.

From: NoHomoHoying
Fine. I'm at the Batcave, probably four shots of Vodka, and, like, twenty minutes

From: KittyKat
Eugh, the Batcave? They play the shittiest music. Sorry, besides the point. I'm coming to get you, DON'T MOVE.

From: NoHomoHoying
Kay

Kirstie grabbed Mitch's arm and took her car keys. "I'm sorry to grab you like this, but we gotta go."

"Okay. May I ask why?" Kirstie slung her purse around her shoulder and shut the door, not bothering to turn off the lights. She locked it behind her, and turned to Mitch.

"Scott is wasted at a club, and I have to clean up after his mess. As always." He nodded, and they ran downstairs, Mitch trailing slightly behind.

Kirstie opened the door for him and he sat down in the passenger seat. She started driving to the prostitute part of LA.

The drive was long, but the tension stayed.

She eventually turned on the radio at a red light, which started blasting opera music. The light turned green before she could change it, so they were forced to listen.

They finally arrived at the Batcave, and Kirstie ran out of the car. Mitch followed her lead, until they were greeted by the loud noises resonating from the building.

Thankfully there wasn't a bouncer there, so Kirstie rushed to the club door and pushed it open.

She took Mitch's hand and ran in, guiding him inside. Mitch already had a headache from the bright lights, and squeezed his eyes shut.

"Scott?" Kirstie yelled. "Scott?" She gasped as she heard moaning noises, and turned to the sound.

"Hey, doggie girl? That boy. He's tall, and has blonde hair, and his shirt looks farmiliar. He looks a lot like Sandra, doesn't he?"

She studied the two men kissing passionately, only seven feet away yet not noticing their presence.

"Mitch, I think that is Sandra."

"But.. aren't we in a relationship? Isn't- isn't Sandra supposed to be mine?"