Chapter Three: First 'Date'

Dipper's POV

We walk out of the Mystery Shack and feel the warm, summer air surround us. The cicadas are chirping as a gust of wind rustles the leaves in the trees above us. The red hair of Wendy Corduroy moves slightly as well, catching my attention.

"So, tour guide, where should we start off today?" I ask her

"Where ever you want! Would you like to go through the woods? Or through town?" She asks

"I'm more of a nature person, can we start off with the woods?" I reply

"Awesome choice!" She says. I look at her with a confused expression. She notices and adds, "I love nature too!"

Off we went into the woods. The scenery here is much better than that of Piedmont, where I'm from. The pines here surround the whole forest, casting shadows everywhere. The canopies above us are lit by the suns rays touching the delicate pine needles.

I look over at Wendy as we walk. She doesn't seem to notice, so I just stare at her for a while. She has to have a boyfriend, right? I mean, how can't she? She's so pretty, and nice, and -

"Dipper? You okay, buddy? The path is in front of you" she says, pointing ahead.

I blush and quickly look to where she's pointing. "Ya, I'm, um, I'm fine. Just thinking." I reply

"About what?" She asks, trying to carry a conversation. Frankly, I wish this one would end as soon as possible.

"Oh, um, if I told you, you'd just laugh." I say

"Come on, man. You can trust me!" She replies

Now I really wish this conversation would end. But at the same time, I have to tell her eventually. Now might be the time!

What are you, nuts? You can't tell her! She'll never see you the same way again! Find a way out of this, now!

"I'll, uh, I'll tell you later." I chicken out

"Okay, but I'm asking again before you go back to the shack!" She says, laughing, "once I learn that someone is hiding something, I have to know it."

"Oh, haha, okay I'll tell you before we finish our walk tour thing." I reply

"Promise?" She asks

"Promise." I say. Now I'm locked in, but that's okay. I knew I'd have to tell her eventually.

We continue to walk and observe nature, not really talking much. We're walking past a patch of wild flowers when I hear a deep growl.

I jump in front of Wendy and look around for anything out of the ordinary. What could be lurking in these strange woods, I couldn't even begin to imagine. My concentration is broken by... laughing? I turn around to see Wendy red with laughter.

"What?! What's so funny?" I ask

She takes a second to get her herself together before replying "dude, that was my stomach growling!"

I look at her for a second before laughing as well.

"I guess it's time to bring out the snacks!" I say

We sit on a log at the edge of the forest, that leads to an over look facing west. I take out the burrito bites and hand her a pitt cola.

The sun is starting to set as we clink our cans of pitt and drink them. We munch on the burrito bites as the sun slowly sinks closer to the horizon.

"Did you happen to bring a flash light?" Wendy asks

I pull out my phone that has a flashlight app and turn it on.