Chapter Three -New Problems-

Hope you all are enjoying yourself while reading this. I appreciate you reading it. Now onto Chapter Three. (:

[¥] Chapter 3[¥]

£¬New Problems¬£¬

“Hey mom.” I said putting my books in the back as I watched Kelly get into the car and pull off. I climb into the front seat and kiss her cheek before buckling my seatbelt.

“Hey sweetie, how was school?” She asked starting up the car.       

“Good. Same problems, just different people.” I said giving with a shrug of my shoulder. I loved my mother dearly, but it’s just not the same talking to her as it is with my dad. He doesn’t try to throw a conversation out there, it just happens automatically.

“So, who was that cutie on the steps with you? He’s your new boyfriend or something?” She asked with a glint of hope in her eyes, yet her voice was laced with humor.

“No ma. He’s just a friend.” I laughed lightly. I paused for a second collecting my thoughts before saying, “I would say that out of the whole school he’s the only one who’s been nice to me today.” I added. “We officially met this morning.”

“That’s nice I guess.” She said unsure of herself. I really haven’t told her in detail exactly everything that happens at school. She just gets the sugarcoated version of it; my dad on the other hand gets the gruesome details. “I don’t understand why you don’t have a boyfriend yet; you’re just too beautiful not to have one.” She said with a shrug of her shoulders. I simply ignored her statement, and said nothing. She doesn’t understand like my father would, as I said I’m more of a daddy’s girl than anything. She just knows people at school bully me because they don’t have anything better to do with their lives. Which isn’t really a complete lie.

“His name is Kelly Bradshaw and he said that his mom works with dad down at the new restaurant.” She nodded her head taking in the new knowledge.

“His mother is Adrian?” She asked with slight shock.

“I guess, since they are both new.” I then began thinking on this information, and nearly slapped myself for not putting it together earlier. No wonder he seemed so familiar to me at one point; Adrian and my mother grew up together and have been close with each other. They had lost contact with each other during their college careers. According to my mother they just recently got back in touch with one another, although, I don’t think they have seen one another yet.

“Her and I used to be friends back when we were little, remember I was telling you about her?” She asked taking a quick glance my way. “I saw her like three weeks ago and she told me she had four more boys since the last time I saw her. I just haven’t gotten a chance to meet them yet.” She continued. Well that question was answered. I remembered my mother telling me stories of her best friend and how the last time they had seen each other Adrian had just had her first child, Lenox, and after that, they lost touch. I have to say, I give props to Ms. S because she had just graduated high school and gave birth to a baby boy and still managed to get through college. Now she has four boys and as far as I knew they all turned out pretty good.

“Oh well you’ll get a chance to meet Kelly tomorrow. I’m going to the movies with him and his brothers.” I told her. Then a smile crept upon her face. What is she thinking? “So How is Ms. S doing anyway?” I asked changing the subject.

“She’s good. She invited me out for lunch with her tomorrow.” She gave off a sigh of contentment as if she was thinking back on the good old days.

“That’s good, then she can tell you all about the boys and you can tell her about me.” I said feeling happy for my mother. We said nothing the rest of the car ride home and I took that time to study her features, compare them to mine, as I have found myself doing from time-to-time. Like any other time I couldn’t find any resemblance that stood out from the rest. We had the same high cheek bones and a beauty mark on our neck, just beneath our chin. We had the same skin tone, and that was where it stopped. Everywhere I went, people always said how much I looked like my father even when I wasn’t with my father. I have yet to find one person to say how much I look like my mother. I guess that’s the price you pay for being a daddy’s girl. “Oh and before I forget Dad said that he would take me shopping tomorrow, then Sunday all three of us are going out to eat.” I said remembering what my father told me over the phone.