Chapter 17

The gray Tom moved to look up at his daughter. "I will watch over you, Darkpaw. Don't worry." His voice shook. "You'll always be my daughter." Blooded gurgled in his mouth and the wound in his throat poured out faster.

Darkpaw buried her muzzle into her fur.  "Don't leave me!" she cried, but Smokefire was dead.

Hopestar looked at Tigerdtsr in triumph. "You see what we can do? Don't mess wi--"

Darkpaw growled. "You've done enough damage here. Leave now or our warriors will do the same thing yours did to ours."

The leader lifted her lip. "Oh, look. A little kitten is standing up for her little puny Clan. How sweet."

Twignose narrowed his eyes. "Back off. Now. She's an apprentice and she can rip your throat out in a second."

Darkpaw flashed a grateful glance at the brown Tom.

Hopestar gave in. "Fine, DangerClan. We retreat. But that doesn't mean we won't come back in the future."

They left, and Darkpaw bristled when she spotted Leafwhisper kick her father's body as she passed by.

Tigerstar leaped into the DmagerRock. "We have won our battle. Jadefeather and Foxtail, go make sure they've left."

The warriors stood up and padded out of camp.

"Now; I have something else to tell you..."