Chapter 39

Darkfire lifted her head drowsily. It was three moons after she was exiled, and she could see her former home from where she stood, the DangerClan camp upon the hill she stood. Turning tail, she padded away angrily. Snake-hearted Rainstrike, she growled. He'll do anything to get what he wants!

The young tabby ex-warrior glanced away. "I could always become a rouge again. Go join Spice and Sparrow and Twig... But DangerClan needs me. I know it does."

The scent of Cloudgaze wreathed around her. Darkfire, she said soflty, you're thinking too hard. Just go back to camp. Fight off the guards. Every cat there is alert for you, so be prepared. Confront Rainstrike - alone - muzzle-to-muzzle.

Darkfire turned away from her StarClan guide. I can just stay here, she mewed soflty. I could be a kittypet or loner.

But that's just it, the white she-cat hissed. You don't want to do that. You want your former Clan back. Do it yourself.

Darkfire raised her muzzle sharply. "Fine," she meowed angrily. "Fine."

But as she started through the forest, a cat caught up to her. "Fuzzyfeather...?! I'm not...!"

"I won't kill you. The DangerClan camp is in total chaos. Tigerstar is losing lives every time that Rainstrike goes in his den, but the arrogant Tom denies he is killing Tigerstar and says an adder bit him and it's the poison," Fuzzyfeather explained quickly. "You were the one protecting DangerClan from Rainstrike, and now that your gone, nobody can help us. Come on!"