Chapter Four

Alex didn't drag his drunk ass to the house until late enough that he knew everyone would already be in bed. He made his way to the spare room on the first floor beside the library. He could have gone upstairs to his old room but he hadn't wanted to go wandering around and stumble on Angelica's room. Her vanilla scent was overwhelming in this house and it had his nerves on edge. The wolf in him wanted to be near her, the man in him wasn't so sure. He didn't want to be an ass. The woman had clearly been through a lot and that had made her the way she was but how was he supposed to look at somebody that looked like her and feel love or passion?

He pulled off his heavy black boots, slid his baggy jeans off his legs and climbed into bed in his t-shirt and boxer briefs. Maybe if he got a good night of sleep he'd see things more clearly in the morning... Than again he wasn't sure he could take seeing her much more clearly.

888

Alex woke up the next day thankful that immortals didn't get hangovers or else he'd have a heck of one. His nostrils flared as he searched for her scent but it was gone. Barely a trace remained in the air. Where was she? He groaned at the sunlight shining through the window beside the bed and threw his pillow at the intrusive rays.

He climbed out of bed and pulled on his pants before walking barefooted to the kitchen. Only his grandma was there when he padded in and flopped down in a chair.

"Coffee, grandma that I love so much. I need coffee." Rebecca shook her head.

"There is no coffee, dear. You have to wake up before noon if you want coffee." Alex could hear irritation in her voice and it surprised him. His grandma was never irritated. Alex looked at the clock and winced when he saw it was almost one in the afternoon.

"I got in late." he offered as an excuse.

"Yes, from your date." Rebecca replied icily as she loaded the last of the dishes into the dishwasher and slammed it shut, with much more force than was called for. Alex sighed and folded his arms on the table before throwing his head down on them.

"You talked to grandpa." he stated as he stared at the oak tabletop. He could see a dent and crack in the wood and he assumed that at some point his uncle Jake must have decided the table deserved to be taught a lesson.

"Yes I did, Alexander Holt Mitchell, and I must say I am completely disappointed in the kinds of things you said. There is more to a woman than what she looks like!"

"Grandma, the woman talks to peas."

"Yes and you have green hair." Rebecca replied matter of factly. 'We all have our little quirks."

"Riiight... Talking to vegetables is considered a quirk in this family. Nice to know we're such normal folk."

"I can't talk to you right now." Rebecca said as she walked toward the hallway. "I'm disgusted."

"Grandma...." Alex called but she was gone. He stared down at his hands feeling about an inch tall and ashamed of himself. He shouldn't have run from Angelica. Sure he might not ever see her as a romantic mate but he could get to know her and be her friend. Having a friend that talked to vegetables wouldn't be much different than having Tony who talked to himself most of the time. And his wolf was going to drive him crazy until he was near her again.

Alex stood up and toward the living room. He would have to figure out where Angelica had gone so he could find her and make things right. He was just coming to the living room when he heard his cousin Gwen singing.

"The ittsy bittsy spider went up the water spout! Down came the rain...."

"Gwen!" Jakes deep, angry voice snapped. "What have I told you about singing that song?" Alex stepped into the living room and saw Jake standing over Gwen, who was playing with dolls while Angela sat in the chair with a book on her lap and a haunted look in her eyes.