Chapter Fifteen: Altered Egos

I want you. I want you. I want you. 

The words ring, bouncing around so many times in my head that I feel dizzy. Or maybe it's the fact that Hadrian is so close to me, his icy blue eyes pouring over my bare skin. His hands that hold my wrists feel so hot, and a flush is creeping along my forearms, towards my shoulders and neck.

I thought it's supposed to be cold in Hell, I think furiously. This place is as hot as its king.

I glance again at the man holding me. His dark hair is wet, so it sits like silk around his carved face, curling enough to want to run your hands through it to straighten it. His nose is sharp, strong, bridged in the middle. Eyes that cool and simmer at the same time.

A mouth that puckers so temptingly that my mouth goes dry seeing it.

Hadrian smirks, leaning his wonderful face closer.

No! No, stop frying my brain! I'm trying so hard not to be attracted to you!

Hadrian doesn't listen to my inner torment. He knows how much I'm squirming, and he moves closer. I'm certain he's going to kiss me; his eyes are level with mine, and he's so close our eyelashes are almost tickling one another.

I'm frozen. I know I should speak out—say something off putting—but I don't say a word. I don't even breathe.

This is what I wanted, I think. If he sleeps with me, I get his power. If.

I can't mess this up.

Hadrian moves to the side of my face, moving back to my ear, brushing his lips against my cheekbone, causing me to jitter. His hands steady me.

I realise that he's sniffing me.

My hands finally move in protest, fighting against his hold. 'What are you—?' I begin.

'Hush...' Hadrian's words are more like the wind, breezing down my ear, than a command. He's staring at my face once more, searching me.

'What?' I ask, trying to turn away from his impenetrable gaze. His hand shoots out to hold my chin, and I bristle with anger.

Again, he leans forward, until his forehead is touching mine, sending hot waves of pleasure right down to my little toes. He whispers, 'You smell like spring.'

For such a small sentence, it has an immediate reaction. I shiver all over, feeling right into my chest where my heart thuds.

His eyes flicker over mine, still searching. 'Why? You're just a human. But...you smell like sunshine. You smell like the first rain after the snows of winter. And...blossom. You smell like blossom.'

'I...I get a lot of sun...' I answer lamely. Hadrian is still looking at me like I've just solved all of his problems, because I smell nice.

I smell nice! Me! A street rat. Ha!

'He's a foolish boy...' the King whispers. His fingers trace the outline of my face, along my cheeks, along my jaw, and over my lips. 'You're right here in front of him, and he doesn't realise.'

He continues to run his fingers along my skin, down my neck, towards my collarbone. At the same time, he angles his head downwards, so that his lips are no longer by my cheek, they're on my neck.

I feel my knees go weak. His lips are on my neck, sending pulses of pounding blood straight to my head. He's trailing down my body with his hands, and I'm afraid to wonder where, because I'm enjoying it.

He nips my neck playfully, and I jolt into his arms. They wrap around me, holding me firm, so that his lips can take better hold of my neck, whilst squeezing my hips so sensually I'm sure I'm about to pass out.