Chapter 33: Sidhe Bones

They were abominations. Monsters in deed, appearance, and mannerisms. But they were near unkillable. Many of us were ready to do black deeds to escape death. Many of us did. We were truly sick and dying, as a society, when the ends didn't just justify, but exonerated, our means.

***

It took three hours.

Laidu sat in his bed, staring at the ceiling. Kyra had given him a hug, when she went to go to bed, trying to make him smile. It didn't work. She had given him a kiss on the forehead, as he lay on the straw-stuffed mattress, trying to cheer him up. Like a child. It didn't work; his heart still hung heavy. The kiss on his forehead didn't help. It was childish, too.

But he didn't complain.

The door opened, casting a beam of light on Laidu's face. Tom.

"Mr. Laidu," Tom whispered. Laidu turned, and Tom jumped slightly. "You...you alright?" he asked.

"No," Laidu said. "I'm bloody tired."

"Oh..." Tom said. He looked at the others sleeping in the room. "Um... I'm sorry for... calling you a monster. I... I was just scared."

"I know," Laidu said.

"But how did you do it?" Tom asked. "It was scary, but awesome!" Skaria mumbled something in her sleep, and Karik'ar snorted.

"Shh," Laidu cautioned. Tom's eyes went wide. "Don't wake them."

"Too late you brightin' idiots!" Thaen said, sitting up. He glared at them with eyes glistening like rubies. "It's bad enough I'm switched over to daylight, but now I'm trying to get some sleep! Shut up!" he hissed. He fell back down and angrily stuffed a pillow over his giant ears.

"Switched to daylight? What does that mean?" Tom asked.

"Normally, Vesperati are awake when it's dark out. When that gets turned on its head, they get... grouchy."

"Oh." Tom was quiet. "Can you do that trick again? Where you grew?" He looked around. "I promise not to scream or to shout."

Laidu chuckled. "I wish I knew how."

Restore what has been shattered. Rhaem's voice said those words as if by rote.

Name that which has lost its name, Paradox said, also as if reciting something.

Surrender control, and let yourself be overtaken, the Warden said.

Bind together, with love or hate, passion or anger, and be whole once more, Kasran said without venom in his voice.

"So that, all that, was complete accident?" Tom asked.

"Not all of it. I do know how to fight." Laidu smiled. "And I think I can breathe fire."

One blast, lasting no more than three seconds, and you shouldn't pass out from that. Was Paradox warning him?

Of course I am, you bloody fool! I'm not a possessing spirit! If you die, I do too!

"Really?" Tom asked, eyes wide.

"I'll show you at breakfast," Laidu said, before a pillow thatthat smelled of fur -and faintly of blood- slammed into the side of his head.

"You brightblasted idiot," Thaen hissed. "I'm trying to sleep!"

"Go," Laidu said to Tom. Tom nodded and closed the door quietly. Laidu picked up the pillow, punched it so I was nice and hard, and hurled it at the Vesperati's head.