Chapter Seven | Embracing The Dark

When I woke up in the morning, my head was pounding and my arms felt numb. As I reached above me and stretched them, I started to get feeling back but it wasn’t good. It felt like when you exercise too much in one day and then your muscles are all sore the next day.

My head was pounding and my stomach was twisting itself like a dishtowel. I thought for a moment, trying not to give away that I was asleep so I wouldn’t have to actually get up. After a minute, last night’s events came crashing down on me, making me open my eyes quickly. I gave a small look around me. I was in a dorm room but it wasn’t mine. It was vaguely familiar, however.

“Finally. I thought you were never going to get up.” Alix said, his hand appearing from nowhere and brushing my hair out of my face.

I glanced around me again to give the room, and myself, a once over. I was still wearing clothes, at least.

“How long have I been asleep?” I ask, yawning and rubbing my eyes.

“Long enough that we missed our first class.” He grinned, unrepentant.

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Why didn’t you go to class?” I asked.

He didn’t answer at first, instead he stood and started to pace the room. “I have to apologize in advance, for causing you to miss your second class as well.” He paused his pacing to level a glance at me. “I have something that I think we aught to discuss.”

He stopped pacing completely now, sitting on the very outer edge of the bed. His hair was a ruffled disarray, his clothes wrinkled. One of us, most likely me, judging by my headache, smelled like beer.

“And that would be...?” I promoted, titling my head to the side subconsciously. Once I became aware I was doing so, I straightened it, afraid I’d look like a dog. The thought made me smile a little and Alix took that smile for encouragement.

“These things that keep happening to you. They’re not...” He struggled for a moment, trying to find the right words. “They’re not normal. But it’s more than that. See...” He sighed and looked at me, seeming determined. “This is going to sound weird.” He warned.

I shrugged. I’d had quite a bit of weird lately, I could handle it.

“You’re studying to be a Psychologist, right?” He asked suddenly. I nodded. “Did you ever study Parapsychology?”

I froze. I had. I’d taken a few University courses on Parapsychology in high school. Parapsychology is the study of psychic abilities, like near death experiences, crisis apparitions, reincarnation and psychokinesis. None of which I actually believe could happen. It would immensely cool if they could and it was interesting to learn about. But none of that stuff actually ever happened outside of movies or books.

“It’s called telekinesis. It’s —” He started to explain it when I didn’t say anything but I cut him off.

“Psychokinesis is the correct term. And I know what it is.”

“I don’t like the term ‘psycho’.” He smirked.

I ignored that. “So what? I’m psychokinetic?”

He nodded and then pursed his lips. “In a way. There’s more too it than that, though.”

He didn’t continue so I sighed. “Like?”

He shrugged. “Well obviously you can move objects but you also seem to be able to influence the elements fairly well.” I stared at him incredulously until he explained. “Fire, water, earth, wind. You seem to be able to influence them. Not control them completely, just kind of...bend them to your will. But I think there are probably more parts to it than that, as well. It’s typical that a witch can communicate through their mind.”