21

"No matter if.. anyway" is a lyric from Someday you're gonna love me - Plain White T's

____________________________________________

"Why didn't you answer my call?" Michael asked. 

"I was busy sorry.." I avoided his eye contact. 

"Doing what?" he sounded confused and a bit irritated. 

"Does it matter?" I turned away from him.

"Yes, Hayden", he put his large hand on my shoulder and forcefully turned me back to him, "it does".

"why" I said in a hushed voice and I quickly peered up at him. 

"Because it got me worried" his eyebrows furrowed and his grip tightened on my shoulder. I shook his hand off and crossed my arms as I turned away from him again. "You got worried just cause I didn't answer one stupid phone call?" I scoffed. 

"What the hell is your problem, Hayden?" he was definitely irritated. 

"What's your's?" I turned my head towards him and raised an eyebrow. 

"You know what", he took a deep breath. "call me when your resting bitch face is fixed" he scoffs and throws his arms in front of him as if he was swatting the air in front of him as he walked. 

"Is that your problem with me? My face?" I narrowed my eyes and turned on the balls of my feet. 

"No, fuck, Hayden" he sighed and kept his back to me. 

"Then what" I yelled.

"Why have you been so distant from me?" he turned towards me but didn't dare to take a step. 

I looked down. 

"Why haven't you been hanging out with me or even talking to me?" his voice got louder. "It's been weeks Hayden and I don't even know what you've been doing or how you've been" 

I kept my eyes on the floor. 

"I hate being in the fucking dark, Hayden. We haven't even talked for weeks. What's going on?" He started pacing.

I don't say anything; I just shake my head. 

"HAYDEN" he screamed. 

"Don't get mad" I used the same tone I used with Luke, but it didn't feel the same. It didn't have the same effect. 

"Don't get mad? How could I not get mad!" He moved faster.

"I think we need to take a break" the words just blurted out of my mouth like a rocket. 

He stopped walking. "What" he barely made a noise but that's what it sounded like. 

"You heard me" He began to turn so I did the same. 

I didn't even hear his footsteps but I felt his arms when he grabbed me and turned me back towards him. 

He was breathing heavily and his eyes were glossed over. He searched my eyes. 

When I broke eye contact he put his hand on my cheek and made me look at him. 

"why" his voice cracked. 

"I'm sorry" my voice cracked too. 

"Don't you love me?" he looked down but it was only a second until he looked back at me. 

"Of course" my eyes flickered back and forth between his, unsure of which one to look at. "Of course I love you, Michael".

He pulled me close to his twitching body and wrapped his arms around me. He cried on my shoulder. "Then why" 

"Because I don't love you like you love me. I love you like I love Ash, and Cal" 

He choked on a sob. 

"I'm sorry" I had begun crying too. "I can't be with you anymore. I don't love you like that" I pushed him away and put my hands on his cheeks. "I'm sorry" 

"No matter if you love me, I'm gonna love you away" he said.  

I lightly shook my head as I wiped away his tears. "I'll see you tomorrow for band practice" I forced a laugh but ended up crying more. 

I let go of his face and stepped backwards. 

"No" he shook his head.

I took more steps back. "I'm sorry" I turned away from him and ran out of his house, to my car, and drove home as fast as I could. 

~~~

The yelling downstairs made me cry more. 

"Look, I know you hate me but I need to see her!" he yelled. 

"Leave my daughter alone"

"Mrs. Johnson, unless you move out of my way, I'm going to have no choice but to push past you" 

"Don't you dare touch me with your tweeker fingers" 

I can just imagine her disgusted face when he makes one of his weird faces as he would wiggle his fingers in front of her face. 

"Mrs. Johnson.." I can hear him losing his patience. 

"Ashton, leave my house or so help me.." 

I let out a large sigh and fiercely wipe the tears away from my cheeks. 

"Hey uhm what's the issue over here?" 

My eyes practically bulged out of my head. 

"Luke! How nice to see you again" 

"Luke, would you help me out here?" Ashton groaned. 

"No, Luke, would you please escort this horrible young man away from my home" 

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Johnson, but Hayden is my friend as well and if Ashton is insisting on seeing her, it means something is wrong. So in this case, I'm sorry but I have to help him. So.. if you would so kindly move out of the way it would make all of our lives a lot easier because, like it or not, we're going up there to see her" 

I shoved my feet inside my shoes and rushed over to my window. Body, don't fail me now. I hopped out on the ledge and grabbed onto the tree next to my window. I maneuvered my body through the branches and when I was close enough to the ground, I jumped. 

"Where the hell is she!?" Ashton yelled. 

"Where is she?!"he yelled again. 

"I don't fucking know, Ashton" Luke yelled back. 

I looked up at my window, frozen. That is until an angry Ashton poked his head out the window and looked right at me. 

"Shit" I turned and ran down the street. 

"Fuck, Hayden. Stop" I didn't have to look back to know he had already jumped out of the window and was right behind me.