The Life She Might Have Known

A LES MISERABLES FANFICTION

THE LOVE STORY THAT ALMOST WAS

THE PAIRING OF ÉPONINE AND MARIUS...

••••••PROLOGUE••••••

I yawned as I woke up from yet another long and sleepless night. I thought about my current situation. My parents had always treated me relatively well, but with that little girl Cosette gone, they've been a bit meaner. I never thought I would miss her as much as I did in that moment in bed. I still remembered her singing about her castle on the cloud. I couldn't help but laugh outwardly as I remembered the precious times we shared.

But time started going by. A man named Jean Valjean took her away, like a thief with a sack of money, and left me with my mother and father; alone in this joyless world.

Some days after, I ran into a boy: short, dashing, and an aura of bravery emenating from every pore. "Oh, dear, I'm dreadfully sorry!" I stammered, smoothing out the folds in my ratty dress.

"That's quite alright," he said in a charming voice, "What is your name?"

"M-my name?" I started hesitantly. My mother always said to stay away from strangers, but this boy seemed different somehow, "Why, I'm Éponine. Éponine Thenardier."

"And I am Marius. A pleasure!" The boy beamed brightly and I curtsied in such a way any French girl of eight ought to do. "MARIUS!" I heard a shrill woman's voice cry out, "BACK TO WORK WITH YOU!"

"Yes, mother," Marius replied, giving me a small kiss on the hand before turning on his heels and rejoining his mother. I blushed profusely and vowed right then and there to become better friends with the boy named Marius. And we started to meet each other every day behind the inn.