Chapter One: Hearing the People Sing

••••••FRANCE, May 26, 1832••••••

Years have passed since the day I met young Marius on the street. Just like I vowed to myself on that day, he and I are the greatest friends anyone could ever imagine. As we grew older, we did *everything* together. Whenever he goes off with Enjolras, I am there with him. Whenever he needs a favor, I am right beside him. And whenever I need to cry, his shoulder is always available.

My mother and father are being crafty, as usual, so I snuck out of the house today and started to wander the streets of Paris. I was able to spot Marius quickly. He looked so very dapper with his red and white rosette. A large group of people were just standing about in the street, so I walked over to see what was happening.

"Bonjour, 'Ponine!" He said cheerily.

"Oh, you know I hate it when you call me that," I laughed, "What on earth is going on here?"

"Just a run-of-the-mill protest," he replied, the spark of revolution ablaze in his handsome eyes. Just like that day so many years ago, I smoothed my dress and talked to my best friend, something it seems we haven't done in a long while. I spotted Enjolras and Grantaire and waved to them.

"Bonjour there, dear Éponine," Enjolras said. He had always been the nicest to me out of all Marius's friends. It was rumoured he even fancies me! But who knows if that's still true? Grantaire simply gave me a nod. He never really was one for a long conversation.

I stood close to Marius watching the boiling crowd. Little Gavroche was leading his band of Revolutionaries singing about Little People. That's when the real fireworks started. "Viva la France!" Marius and his friends yelled. The entire crowd, myself included, joined in the protestations. Marius always goes on about how there will be battles and barricades, but I think he's exaggerating. King Louis isn't that stupid... but then again...

It was good to be with Marius today. I'm convinced the entirety of Paris heard the desperate cries of the people.

I returned home much later than I should have today, and my father rebuked me fiercly. He wished me never to see Marius again, but I am practically an adult now, I think I can handle myself.

There is word spreading like wildfire that General Lamarque's health is quickly deteriorating. Enjolras tells me that will be their sign to initiate the revolution. I can't help but feel a small twinge if worry for them all. What if they don't make it? Never again will I see Grantaire, or Enjolras, or, dare I say it, Marius. I would be so lost in this world without him. Its funny to think how such a good friend could become someone I love so much. If only he could see it too.

Good night for now, I will write again tomorrow.