Chapter Three: "Master" of the House

••••••FRANCE May 28, 1832••••••

Disobeying my father has never been a problem for me. Especially as the years have gone by, I have seen what a truly horrible person he is!

But something that happened today would change my perception of him forever.

I snuck out of the house once again today and visited Marius in his flat. As I walked up the stairs, I could hear in faintly humming. I smiled, I just couldn't help it! He was so mesmerizing! I stood in the doorway of his room for quite some time, simply just listening to him. After what seemed like an eternity, he said, "'Ponine, I know you're there!" He didn't even turn around! I laughed anyways.

"Why yes, Monsieur," I replied politely.

"What are you doing here?" He questioned.

"I wanted to see you, of course!" I replied, perhaps too presumptuously. Nevertheless, he turned around (mid-way dressed, mind you) and beamed at me. Seeing his half-buttoned shirt, I blushed subtly, thank God in heaven he didn't notice. Feeling the awkward silence, I said, "You know, maybe I should just go back to the inn..." Today, I just didn't feel like having my heart crushed anymore. Marius frowned slightly and nodded. I turned on my heels and sulked out of his apartment complex. Éponine! Why can't you just be clear to him?

I knew that by now my father and mother would be well awake and probably ready to scold me when I got home. I tried sneaking through the door, but like a cat and a mouse I was soon trapped by my mother. Despite the circumstances, I was much happier it was my mother as opposed to the wrath of my father. "Erm, bonjour, Madame..." I said hesitantly.

To my incredible suprise, mother replied, "Bonjour love," Love? I don't think those words have ever come out of her lips before, "Want me to fix ya breakfast or something?" I nodded slowly. Mother led me into the kitchen, tugging on my arm gently. I glanced over to the side and saw my father, not drunk, but actually reading the newspaper! Like a normal French father!

Mother cooked up a wonderful breakfast of ham and sausage, which I hadn't had in years! Marius's revolution must be doing some good!

Today, mother's clothing of choice was a beautiful green satin dress which looked somewhat tacky on her, but nice all the same. Father chose to wear an old blue suit, and for once he actually trimmed those dreadful sideburns. It was so weird to see them all nice and cheery! Little did I know, there were some alterior motives.

I walked around the inn cheerfully, being in a much better mood than I was after leaving Marius's flat. Just then, my mother, out of no where, snapped viciously at me, "Éponine! Go get on proper clothing!" Her sudden change of mood was strange. I walked briskly to my room and chose a ratty looking red dress. It wasn't beautiful like my mother's, but it was nice at one time, anyway. New dress adorned, I walked into the lobby just as a young man walked in. I saw my brother, Gavroche give a little bow as the man walked in. I had to stifle my laughter at mother's attempt to tidy his wild hair. Ready for duty, I walked up to the man and asked brightly, "Hullo, Monsieur, would you care to sit down and have a glass of wine?" The man looked at me with his surly eyes. He was almost frightening, except for he had a rather humorous looking nose: it was crooked in every which-way possible! I looked down at the small golden badge on his sleek green suit. The badge read "Health Inspector". Of course then I realized my parents were only being cheeky so that I wouldn't mess up the blasted inspection.

How could I have honestly expected anything less from my father? The inspection went well, I suppose. Father got him drunk enough to give us full marks, so at least we can keep our inn. I can't ever look at my father the same way again. Here I stood, thinking he actually loved me, when in reality, all he cared about was some stupid inspection!

Alas, I must go to sleep. I must wash away all this pain with a little dreaming. Maybe Marius's shirt will be off this time? Disregard that last sentence.... until tomorrow, dear Diary!